Halftrack to Halftrack

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi All,
And many thanks for your kind comments.
Fernando, that colour is from an old tin of enamel - I had forgotten how bad that stuff smells, Compucolor was the brand and I think it was mixed with cat urine, I remember the first time I used it, I spent an hour going around the carpet trying to find where he had done it.....
John R,
Pleased I could help, one other way is to print on the rough side of some tracing paper - but remember to reverse the image - then work on the smooth side.
Update,
As for the build, this is now on hold for a week untill I get the launch frame for the AVLB built, but some items are now hidden away under a coat of primer and if i get too bored with the frame i will put some paind on the bogies etc, so more later.
Cheers, Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Ian, Peter,
Many thanks for your comments. I will be getting back onto this one in a week or so while working on the other beast, so the distraction is helping work out what i need to do in the future.
Cheers,
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
So, got on and managed a little more progress today.
The jib was connected to the support frame members, I also added the cable roller to the jib frame, and then added the whole lot to the chassis. The jib is not fitted so any further work means that I can remove the jib at the hinge point and work on it (adding cable rollers/guides).

jibinplace1.jpg

And a dry run ti visualise the finished item.

jibinplace2.jpg

jibinplace3.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Cheers, Mike.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Mike the job looks really good, very clever :thumb2:, do you use scribing template much.
Pete.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike the job looks really good, very clever :thumb2:, do you use scribing template much.
Pete.
Hello Pete,
Many thanks for the compliment. The scriber template comes in usefull for those discs that cannot be obtained from other sources, I have other punches but sometimes you cannot get the size so this is where these come in. A few scribes around the next size up usually results in a reduction back to the size you want once the disc is cut out and cleaned up. I will demonstrate with tomorrows update with the pully wheels.
Cheers, Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking good Mike.
In fact the dogs ! :thumb2: Don;t you just love it when it works.
John.

D

Deleted member 5819

Hello Pete,
Many thanks for the compliment. The scriber template comes in usefull for those discs that cannot be obtained from other sources, I have other punches but sometimes you cannot get the size so this is where these come in. A few scribes around the next size up usually results in a reduction back to the size you want once the disc is cut out and cleaned up. I will demonstrate with tomorrows update with the pully wheels.
Cheers, Mike.
I'll be there with my note book at the ready.
Pete.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome back Mike, great work .:thumb2::thumb2:
John, That 434 with the Leyland dangling from it brings back memories..:thumb2:

Yes and working in the dark with some crap lights, oh such fun Brad.

Thanks Mike
John .

Last edited:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Looking good Mike.
In fact the dogs ! :thumb2: Don;t you just love it when it works.
John.
Ha, Ha, Got a length of brass wire out, great thought I, that will do to make the cable guard on top of the roller half way up the jib. Just a simple U shape 8mm wide. Eight attempts later, lots of U shapes, too big or too small, but got it in the end.
Comment very welcome,
Cheers, Mike.

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ha, Ha, Got a length of brass wire out, great thought I, that will do to make the cable guard on top of the roller half way up the jib. Just a simple U shape 8mm wide. Eight attempts later, lots of U shapes, too big or too small, but got it in the end.
Comment very welcome,
Cheers, Mike.
Mike
Do you know that makes me feel I'm not alone, I was making some handles for my second build a few years back, it was the KV2.
I had handles everywhere, all differing widths, then I had a brain wave, why not measure the width first. :nerd:
John .

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Mike
Do you know that makes me feel I'm not alone, I was making some handles for my second build a few years back, it was the KV2.
I had handles everywhere, all differing widths, then I had a brain wave, why not measure the width first. :nerd:
John .
John,
I did!!! :rolling:
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Today, was make a pully wheel day.
You come to a point where the Punch & Die set just will not give you the size you need, other tools will give the same result. Then it comes down to the 'P' Cutter, but even that has it's limits. So in between all of that are the templates. I first got my hands on mine a few years ago and have been either on the bench or in the tech drawing tools at college (some say mature student, but I would add an I ).
punch selection.jpg
And as you can see there is quite a selection from leather punch through to templates. Also required is a scriber of either your own design or from a manufacturer.
scribers.jpg
And today is one of those times when I need to scratch build the pully wheel.
To start the card is sanded to remove the gloss surface, that enabeles the pencil line not only to be more visible, but remains on the card a lot longer.
First mark out the size you require, in this case it is 5mm diameter and then from corner to corner to find the centre. This is then drilled out to save trying to find it later, it also aids in lining up two discs or more. As in this case 3 per pully wheel. The template is laid over the square, but a half mm larger is chosen. This is to allow for the thickness of the scribed line. So in this case for 5mm I chose 5.5mm and duly set off scribing the line.
disc 1.jpg
Once the disc is scribed about halfway, it can be finished off with the tip of a sharp knife - scalpel with #10A blade and just using the tip with no heavy cutting, (although I have been known to us a Stanley knife) and this should release the disc. Another meathod is to cut as close to the scribed line and then break away the excess plastic....
disc 2.jpg
...and then shape to finish. You can check the size of the disc with the template as you go along.
disc 3.jpg
And once satisfied with your work either complete the pully wheel or attach the disc as you want.
disc 4.jpg
disc 5.jpg
So pulley wheels now in place, it is time to add the cable attachment points at the top of the jib, make up the hook and add that then move on....
Thanks for looking.
Cheers, Mike.