hand brushing Primer?

M

markg

hi bods..

What Primers can be hand-brushed on? Are they good?

Thanks

M

markg

is it a daft question? :smiling3: quite a few views but no response

S

Spyderman_uk

I suppose it depends what you want to achieve and what you are painting.

In general a primer is used to give a good base for painting the colour coat over.

It is used where there may be adhesion problems if the top coat won't adhere to the component being painted.

It is also used to provide a neutral base for various colours, or as a means of affecting the final colour; i.e. a dark primer used under a pale top coat will darken the appearance of the top coat.

So what are you going to prime and for what purpose?

If I think the model needed priming then I generally use a rattle can, either black or grey, but sometimes white. Usually Halfrauds or the local motor factors paint.

If I was brush painting, which I do a lot, I would be reluctant to use a primer, especially if it meant having to mask parts up. Sometimes I may prime the parts on the sprue.

I've not brushed primer onto a model in many years so am not familiar with what is available.

No such thing as a daft question. Only daft answers!

B

Bunkerbarge

Hi Mark, sometimes it takes a while for members to read through the latest posts and you have to remember that we don't all spend our days sat at the screen waiting for the next question so just be patient when waiting for a reply to a question.

As for the primer basically acrylics dry so quick they are very difficult to brush paint so the best primer for brushing would be an enamel primer. The danger though is that brushing a primer would possibly not give you the best surface for further top coats so I would defenately recommend a rattle can primer as suggested by Terry. Halfords do a range for car body purposes which are very good for modelling and are a very good finish acrylic primer and, of course, very easy and convenient.

M

markg

thanks guys. I take your point Richard, it did seem I was impatient, but it wasn't that, was more that I was concerned I was asking a wally question. I have used the spray primers, Tamiya Fine and halfords. It seems to me, in my inexperienced view, that the Halfords is better, which surprises me, and picking up on Terry's points about the colour effect with different primer colours, the darker primer makes the top coats more the colour expected, it seems to me.

I suppose the meain reason for wondering about painting primer on, is for being able to do it inside the home, as opposed to going to the garage to use the spray can. Yes, VERY lazy :smiling3: Also, though, if I have had to correct some bad work which involves removing paint and surrounding primer, then I didnt really fancy using a spray can with it's big spray pattern, but rather, just apply primer to a specific area. Not sure I've explained that bit very clearly.

Although I do have an airbrush and compressor (little used because of my novice status) I am trying to do as much work inside the house as I can, avoiding toxic sprays etc, and so am hand brushing paints (acylic & enamel). I am finding it very frustrating to find the right paints suitable for hand-painting (using lots of test bits of plastic) that also leave a good finish. I suppose I will have to soon learn to be good at the air-brush, but I don't want to abandon hand-painting just yet.

I think, no, I know, I'm guilty of seeing great models on here and finding very quickly that I can't do that standard model, and it's frustrating, sometimes demoralising. Maybe I'm expecting too much of myself at this stage, and I will have to accept some bad models until I become more proficient. I need to walk before I can run. :smiling3:

B

Bunkerbarge

To be honest Mark i think you have answered most of your questions perfectly well yourself and you have a very balanced view of modelling. I buy tamiya Modelling International Magazine and, to be honest, invariably end up feeling very inadequate when I've read it. The standard is always staggeringly high and way beyond my capabilities so I have to have a chat with myself and remind myself I'm doing it for the enjoyment.

The only thing I would advise you on is restricting yourself to brush painting because you don't want to go outside. I am lazy when it comes to painting and would far rather use a brush than all the performance required with an airbrush so I invariably end up using a rattle can whenever I can get away with it. The trick is to make all the preparations at your model bench such as obviously prepare the surface of the model but ensure it is held on a stand of some sort and is easy to hold. I then shake the rattle can for a long long time then run some hot water over it and shake it again for a long time before finally nipping outside to do the spraying. I know I'm restricted by weather conditions and I have to take into acount humidity so spraying time is that bit limited but it ensures I am not causing problems by spraying indoors yet it allows me the convenience of using rattle cans.

As for small repairs I'm afraid you will find it difficult brush painting an area without having to do a lot of careful rubbing down with very fine wet and dry before trying a top coat. I really think your airbrush would be the best bet for that or try to set up a mask that sits proud of the surface by a millimeter or so and use a rattle can.

Your idea of lots of practise with scrap is the only way to go and will give you a much better idea of what you can achieve and how to achieve it and is an excellent approach.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Mark,I didn't answer before not because you asked a silly question (no such thing here) but because I've never brushed a primer in my life! As Richard said you've got a pretty firm grasp of what you're attempting,I'd just like to add my thoughts. You say you are using acrylic and enamel paints. I would say that you can almost invariably apply enamel paints,by brush or airbrush, without the need to prime at all. I recently painted the cockpit of my Spitfire this way as so little is visible that I couldn't be bothered doing all my usual fancy airbrush effects. You're not the only one who is a bit lazy and reluctant to freeze his arse off in the spray area!

Cheers

Steve

A

andygh

Go to the bottom of the page

Paints | Model Railway Materials & Supplies | Cooper Craft