Hand holds foot rungs..

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
I've seen a Trumpeter wire bending jig set for knocking up hand holds for turret sides etc.. would anyone recommend such a tool or would anyone have a d.i.y. method for making many uniform pieces as I is struggling with me pliers and fingers! Cheers Rob

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Rob
In the thread Tim linked too I don't think the jig was well thought of. I seem to remember it was too flimsy for copper wire.
I use serrated tipped pliers. The jaws are tapered so different sizes of handle can be made. Just mark the groove corresponding to the size you want and you can make as many as you need all the same.
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I use the Jim method also. You can use smooth jawed pliers to flatten the attachment areas for riveted/screwed or bolted grabs/steps.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I always prefer flat nosed pliers and anyway I'm not making a factory amount of turrets that need grab handles.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Hi Rob
In the thread Tim linked too I don't think the jig was well thought of. I seem to remember it was too flimsy for copper wire.
I use serrated tipped pliers. The jaws are tapered so different sizes of handle can be made. Just mark the groove corresponding to the size you want and you can make as many as you need all the same.
Jim
Cheers Jim,
New pair of pliers for me me thinks!
⚒️
I use the Jim method also. You can use smooth jawed pliers to flatten the attachment areas for riveted/screwed or bolted grabs/steps.
Great tip, 2 pair of pliers then I reckon groovy and flat ! Thanks..
I always prefer flat nosed pliers and anyway I'm not making a factory amount of turrets that need grab handles.:smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard
True Richard
I'm not going into production but for me next job I think I'll need a few!
Thanks

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Rob,
what size are you looking for? I have seen metal staples ( from an office stapler ) used as rungs on the side of a concrete strongpoint. It depends on what sizes are available!
Dave

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Rob,
what size are you looking for? I have seen metal staples ( from an office stapler ) used as rungs on the side of a concrete strongpoint. It depends on what sizes are available!
Dave
Nice one Dave
That's a good idea and the odds and sod draw in kitchen might just contain said items !

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ta v.much Tim I'll ave a butchers after work ...tea break over!
Tim is referring to the bit that starts here with David Lovell’s mention of them and continues in following posts. TL;DR version: they work, kind of, but not as well as you would probably like them to.

I was meaning to modify one to see if that helps, but have completely forgotten to actually do that …

Caustik Filth

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rob
Tim is referring to the bit that starts here with David Lovell’s mention of them and continues in following posts. TL;DR version: they work, kind of, but not as well as you would probably like them to.

I was meaning to modify one to see if that helps, but have completely forgotten to actually do that …
Ta Jakko I'll check that out just now..