Harder and Steenbeck Evolution Airbrush.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

First Name
Martin
The Apex airbrush Is this a brand or model name? Not familiar to me. Heard of most like Iwata, Badger, DeVilbiss Aerograph, Paasche, Grex, Aztec etc. (Not counting the number of cheapo ones also available).
The Apex is sold by Ultimate Modelling Products, I have two. I think its made by Badger for UMP. I also have an H and S Evolution
Martin

First Name
Noel
The Apex is sold by Ultimate Modelling Products, I have two. I think its made by Badger for UMP. I also have an H and S Evolution
Martin

Thanks for the further into Martin. I have 2 Badgers and have used them for years. What is interesting about your reply is that I was unaware that Badger may have badge engineered their product to be sold under another name. Cannot really understand why they would feel the need to do that. I believe that the old Thayer and Chandler brand has been bought by Badger but have not seen the T&C brand sold as we a separate brand name recently.

D

Deleted member 7181

What is interesting about your reply is that I was unaware that Badger may have badge engineered their product to be sold under another name.
I didn't know that either, but they repackage their primer for the same retailer, so I don't think it's much of a stretch to think they do it with airbrushes too.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
H&S have also repackaged one of their airbrushes and aimed it at the nail art crowd.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Was thinking about getting the H/S so I'm happy to hear your issues have been solved.
Very reassuring. Might have to consider the Apex beforehand now after reading this post.
Cheers John.

Last edited:
First Name
Noel
Regarding Air Brushes generally, you only get what you pay for. H&S is a good quality German made air brush. Besides H&S I would seriously look at Iwata, Badger and Paasche wno are all long lived quality air brush manufacturers, all with a good reputation. DeVilbiss in the UK used to manufacture a high quality range of air brushes with the trade name Aerograph. Back in the 70's they made a cut down version named the Sprite aimed at the model maker. Basically some of the Aerograph metal parts were substituted by plastic to get the cost down. The original Aerographs were aimed at the graphic designer and artist market, and very expensive. DeVilbiss are still in existence but now concentrate on commercial spray equipment. I think they produce just one airbrush now for automotive work.
There are many cheap airbrushes out there that may be alright if used just occassionally, but for constant use, stick with tried and trusted manufacturers.

D

Deleted member 5496

Was thinking about getting the H/S so I'm happy to hear your issues have been solved.
Very reassuring. Might have to consider the Apex beforehand now after reading this post.
Cheers John.
As Noel has sated H & S very nice brushes. Especially nice, from experience, for those using an airbrush fro the first tiem.

Have H & S & Iwata.

H & S darned easy to take apart & clean. The nozzle can be carefully reamed out with the H & S reamer.
Expensive but dumped a couple of cheaper ones.
Decided they may be expensive in wrecking nozzles.
H & S tend to be bulky compared to Iwata.
Interchangeable cups.
Every part of every H & S is available as spares.

Iwata a pain to take apart & clean. The nozzles are so titchy (wear a butcher apron in case I drop the thing).
I use the needle (carefully) to clear the nozzle
But they are better engineered than the H & S.
I have the HP BS which is shorter than most.
Terrific for getting into difficult area.
Also has the cup partially recessed into the barrel which gives superb viewing when spraying.
Disadvantages,
Stuck with the cup (most) size
Not all parts available as spares

I use the H & S for dirty work priming & varnishing mainly as they are easy to clean.
Iwata for all finishing & for effects.

Laurie