Harley Davidson FLH80 Electra Glide

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
hit a snag

put the two tank halfs on the frame just like the pic in the instructions and dry fitted the seat.....and theres about 5mm of the gap on show!!!..............yet the pic on the box dosnt show a gap....very strange, yet the tank cant go together in any other way

View attachment 110688

View attachment 110689

but i have a bold and cunning plan to hide the gap

ive cut a strip of plasticard to fit the gap and sprayed it red. the deal sheet is probably 75% knackered. i was only going to be using the small decals as the large stripes are too far gone, so i shall try cutting up a strip of the stripe thats supposed to go on the front fender and put that over my fillet to sort of hide/blend it in

214du0i.jpg

52nl7l.jpg

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Nothing ever seems to fit properly on the real ones either. I've owned two, and they are an abomination.

......... Your's is looking good Paul.

First Name
Richard
Hi Paul,

great job so far really like how this comes together. As for the problem with the tank, my old heritage softail hat a gab too, but it belongs there they were covered by a, in my case a piece of leather.

first picture you can see where the opening is second one with the leather in place

View attachment 110693

View attachment 110694

hope this helps

Cheers Richi

88.JPG

89.JPG

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
yeah but the annoying thing is that they show a pic on the box where he gap isnt there!......and theres no part in the box to replicate that, and it actually shows the gap in the instructions....go figure!!

thing is when the seat is on the gap from seat to instruments is only about 5mm so i should be able to hide it/blend it in

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so heres how my fix came out, seat is just dry fitted to see how it came out

View attachment 110857

im at the decal stage.....all the large decals are tatered and the small ones are taking some persuasion to soften off, im having to use very hot water.....i dread to think how old this kit is, must be 25+ years

View attachment 110858

121wdqs.jpg

35kuz3p.jpg