Harley WLA Lend-Lease 1/9 ITALERI + scratch

First Name
Peter
Dear all,

This time I would like to present my recent project. I have started it in September last year and it isn’t finished yet, so you can enjoy the build together with me. As you probably noticed I like to add something extra to my models (if they aren’t totally scratch built). Now I decided to convert ESCI/ITALERI Harley WLA to version I have never seen in modeling world. During II World War thousands of Harleys were given to Soviet Russia along with tons of other goods. Almost half of acquired motorbikes were then equipped with “Russian” M72 sidecar, which de facto was German construction (It isn’t clear if Russians received the technology as one of the profits of Ribbentrop-Molotov pact, or simply copied a captured BMW R12). The complete sidecar and additional wheels are scratch built. Many parts of the motorcycle itself were modified so they are more alike the original. All the bars, like fender supports were thinned. I also added some extra detail: bolts and screws, hinges, high clearance front fender, side bags, speedometer, wheel spokes etc. As usual pictures will tell more, so here they are:

First Name
Peter
Firstly I made back seat mount as shown on the picture below. Later I learned that this was implemented in late Fiftys, so I had to replace my seat mount with proper one.

F

Fenlander

Incredible build. The difference the spokes make is amazing. You are a very skilled modeller Marudek. It really is a pleasure to view your work, thanks for sharing

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
superb work marudek, really like the upholstered seat in the sidecar and the scratchbuilt spokes. cheers tony

D

dubster72

That is just beyond brilliant! I'm in awe of this build & know that I could never manage the stuff out of the box, let alone all that scratchbuilding! Top-class work!

Patrick

First Name
Peter
Thank you all for your kind words and support. It took a while to find a good photo reference for the plate protecting engine from the bottom. But I found it and the plate is finished. I also glazed the speedometer. I didn’t use the kit part provided for this, because it’s top surface is round giving a lens effect when looking through.

I wonder if you can tell what it is going to be?

First Name
Peter
Come on guys! Don't tell me nobody knew that shape! It is an accordion (captred Weltmeister). Anyway this is the construction process:

Finished instrument:

Model during weathering:

F

Fenlander

Wow, that is impressive. You are an artist Marudek and all I can do it look on in awe.

First Name
Peter
Thank you Fenlander I have heavily weathered the model and can show the final effect. I am sure anyone who built this model can see all the modifications I have made, but here is a brief list:

- thinned profiles,

- bolts and washers added,

- control lights on the tank added,

- hinges and latches replaced,

- cables and wires replaced with the ones with proper diameter,

- plastic springs replaced with wire made ones,

- front tender replaced (high clearance),

- lamps glazing replaced,

- "bowl" under driver seat added,

- PE chain drive added,

- speedometer replaced (the kit decal is useless),

- engine bottom protection plate added,

- leg windshields added,

- side bags replaced,

- passenger seat added,

- sidecar added,

- spokes,

- modified pump,

- accordion

First Name
Peter
Thanks john22. If you want to see some better shots. You can find it here Harley WLA | 1:9 | Italeri