Has anyone seen this... could be important for our hobby.

D

Deleted member 7181

I've been watching several videos on the subject over the past few days. Some of the content creators with huge channels, that actually make a decent living off YouTube, could be decimated.

Many of the channels I watch aren't like that, but they may not risk putting out content for fear of falling foul of the FTC. Any videos or channels marked "for kids" are almost certainly going to get buried by Google/Youtube as they can't farm information from them.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Watched it this morning. It seems to me that channels like Andy's just need to make sure they aim at adults, a simple disclaimer at the start of the vid stating "not suitable for children" and the occasional swear word should circumvent the issue. I saw a reply on another forum saying he should have a stripper on a pole in the background. :tears-of-joy:

D

Deleted member 7181

I've seen a lot of people suggesting just adding overtly adult content, but I very much doubt that will help. If an operator or computerised scan is done on the video and it contains anything that might be "appealing" to kids, it'll get marked as such whatever the other content is.

That's how I'm understanding it right now anyway. I hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
ITS just getting ridiculous be fore long we wont be able to watch any modelling on utube

chris

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been watching these as well. What I believe to be the worst is that You Tube will no longer be checking content but the FTC will. If they deem that the content is 'appealing' to children (12 or under), the maker/channel gets a huge fine. $42000 FOR EACH VIDEO this will only affect the US channels. However for non US the FTC will contact You Tube and order them to chop the Channel.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Certainly worrying. I've been watching this develop for a few days. As Andy says simply labelling a video as "not for under 13s" will not help. The FTC will make a judgement not YT. They will make decisions using very broad, crude algorithms. For example a channel about historical china dolls, aimed at adult collectors, possibly costing £100s, will be picked up by the FTC in the same way as a Barbie channel aimed at children. Model kits etc will also be open to similar problems.
Content seen to be "of interest to children" is of no interest to YT - no adverts, no comments, no personal data collecting and most important no revenue.
Maybe I've got it wrong. Maybe common sense will prevail. Maybe the inmates aren't running the asylum.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The world is going insane with all this excessive regulation
There’s a good reason for the regulation: without it, you get business practices like Facebook’s and Uber’s (other unethical companies are available). The real reason it’s a problem for people now is because this wasn’t recognised when it perhaps should have been, fifteen to twenty years ago.

Not that I’m saying the rules are all thought out or implemented as well as they could be, of course. That’s where most of the actual problems for site visitors come from.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There’s a good reason for the regulation: without it, you get business practices like Facebook’s and Uber’s (other unethical companies are available). The real reason it’s a problem for people now is because this wasn’t recognised when it perhaps should have been, fifteen to twenty years ago.

Not that I’m saying the rules are all thought out or implemented as well as they could be, of course. That’s where most of the actual problems for site visitors come from.
I tend to take a more libertarian view and believe laws, rules and regulation should be minimal but with much more serious punishment for criminals.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The problem with that, in this case, is that they’re not criminals — but they are dealing with such amounts of data about you and I that in many other lines of business, much stricter rules apply than here, even if they have less of an insight in your comings and goings. Your doctor, for example, is not a criminal either (I hope :smiling3:) but is bound by strict laws when it comes to talking about your medical history. The Googles and Facebooks of this world are (well, were) bound by no such laws, even though they likely know much more about you than your doctor does — including probably much of that same medical history, if you’ve ever looked up anything health-related online (even indirectly).

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Right here is my ten pence worth and it is not nice.
When you buy a computer whatever size it is, you need to install or have it come with an anti virus program, this is to hopefully protect you the user. But what you are not told about is pop-ups, yes those annoying adverts Andy is telling you about. To prevent this you go into your computer settings and set your computer settings to NOT send data of what you do on your computer to the likes of Microsoft etc 'So that they can enhance your use in the future'. That is cr4p, it is so that they can build a picture of who you are and what you like to view, to also prevent this you take on a program like IP Vanish which hides you from the world. And those annoying pop-ups with ads from BMW to anal cream to dating sites and more can be stopped by installing a program like Pop-up Stopper.
Now we come down to the nitty gritty, Parental Control, this is where the main problem lays, it is not the internet or Googles or any of the web providers fault, it is the bone idle or ignorant parent who gives in to their childs whims and wants, get junior a lap top, tablet, phone or whatever and introduce them to the WWW - and once they know how to connect to it then the parent can ignore the child, teen or whatever and go back to their social life on their moble. It is the parents responsibility to make sure their child is safe and also to know what their child is getting up to and viewing. Would any sane parent whose child loves cars and trucks take them and leave them next to the motorway to entertain themselves for a couple of hours - of course not, and it is the same with the web. It is the responsibility of the parent, not the bloke down the street or Bill Gates or even Andy himself to be responsible for what your child watches on the www, it is the parents.
Have you noticed how the parents scream and wail when junior has got hold of their credit card and run up a few thousand on it, and the parent does not even supervise what the kid is paying for, but when the sex toys and the blow up dolly appear on the doorstep who do they blame - why the bank! for not stopping the card, but never themselves... Ignorance is not a defence.
My wife to a certain degree is computer illiterate, but even she has learned that I keep a wary on on where she is on the net and she is an adult. But in the world today the opinion of a great number of parents is that, I spit the kid out, now you look after it, my nine months of responsibility are at an end.
I am sorry to be so blunt but I am tired and sick to my back teeth of Lefties, snowflakes and the like telling me that I have to be responsible for others, when those who should be responsible for them are more interested in their own private time than what the kid is up to. And because of their crass self importance, the rest of us have to suffer. And as for these governing bodies, they really need to get out in life and to examine what is actually on You Tube and the educational value it has, and start to educate the parents that it is they that are responsible for what their child is viewing - and if they are not sure or have any suspicions - then take the computer off them untill they become responsible enough to use it, and stop blaming society for their crass idleness.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
MikeC - are you running in the general election by any chance?????
:smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2:

Paul.
:smiling2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
MikeC - are you running in the general election by any chance?????
:smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2: :smiling2:

Paul.
:smiling2:
No, just saying what I think and observe, I would be far to honest to be a politician, and especially watching those four excuses on the tv tonight.
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think your quite right Mike .
I don't know how many of you saw the video mentioned by Barry, well worth a look .
I subscribe to the site, interesting chap and has some good videos.
This is a very worrying change, so I signed the petition that he linked .
Seems to me that this FTC has lost the plot and hopefully those in the States will let them know in no uncertain terms that this is not on.

D

Deleted member 6559

Watch Adam Curtis's film 'Hypernormalisation' (it's on BBC I-PLayer). Very interesting look at how business has taken over the role of politicians and how cyberspace has been high-jacked by corporations to read your mind and influence your choices.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
I could not have put it better. A perfect example of what you are saying is the childhood obesity problem. The fault lies with Macdonald's, the supermarkets, advertising, Coca-Cola, the schools, friends and so on. Parents feeding their child on Greg's sausage rolls and crisps has nothing to do with it.
Back to the original post. The 20 year old law was passed for the best of reasons but the world was a very different place back in 1998. Now we seem to have a law but don't know who should be responsible for ensuring it is obeyed. The buck seems to have stopped with the video makers themselves who could be hammered if they get it wrong.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
We all know these organisations hate to have to back track. I can see this turning into a typical long drawn out legal battle, hopefully sense with prevail.
Y tube has long been the go to site for modelling tips, it will be a great shame if this happens .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I am tired and sick to my back teeth of Lefties, snowflakes and the like telling me that I have to be responsible for others
Though you make a valid point, namely that parents should keep an eye on what their children are doing, you’re talking of the small picture and ignoring the fact that there is a big picture as well.

If it was as simple as “Pay attention to what you’re doing” and “Take action yourself” then there would be no need for most laws at all, nor their enforcement. But if we go down that path as a society, we would end up back in about the 18th century, where if someone did you wrong you had to take them to court — even for things we now consider to naturally be a matter for the government to involve itself in, like murder. The government’s job in modern European society is to be responsible for others (Americans especially are bound to disagree with this statement, BTW) in many areas because it’s simply unrealistic to expect people to themselves take care of all things that affect them.

The question then is: what does and what does not fall under the government’s umbrella? Though I agree with you that people should be responsible for their own actions, the Internet often makes this very difficult. How can you be responsible for your own actions if you don’t know about things other parties are doing that do concern you?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
WELL I aggree with mike to me it makes sence but just my opinion
and especially watching those four excuses on the tv tonight.
Mike.
chris