• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Painted!

BNRbeLP.jpg

nrNHYd5.jpg

s7pEtvF.jpg

And a couple of cheeky action shots. Firstly removing any dust with a tack rag, then starting to apply the first coat (concentrating hard! :smiling5: ). In the background you can see one of my mates Hot Wheels cars that received the same colour.

7kzomKs.jpg

SbRJ6Sa.jpg

It had three light coats of colour (Verde Miura) then just a single coat of Ultra High Solids 2K clear, which will be more than enough without burying any detail. There are two very minor dust spots to sand & polish out, then I need to add the sliver for the lower panels, but that will be done at home with Mr Color.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps. It's certainly not for the faint hearted, but when I decided to build a Miura there was only ever one colour in my mind.

D

Deleted member 7181

I like bright colours too. We painted the kitchen in our old house lime green, I drive a bright yellow car, and the wife had to put her foot down to stop me painting our current kitchen mango orange (we settled on a sunny yellow :cool: )

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps. I didn't have to turn any lights on in the house last night, it was glowing so brightly :cool:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Congratulations on a superb paint job Andy.
Why build a spray booth at home when you have that at work ! Nice little gun and paint holder .

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks John. I don't think I'd get away with painting every model in there but as a one off my boss was fine.

The gun is one of my fleets of Iwata's, an LPH80. Everyone that has borrowed it remarks on how well it paints for such a small gun. Paint and air usage is minimal (for a spray gun) and even though I bought the largest available nozzle set (1.2mm) it can be dialled down to produce an almost airbrush style output.

Unfortunately my AB compressor at home just won't quite feed it or I'd use it more, especially for priming or varnishing. If I ever build a large scale plane or similar I always have the large compressor, but the noise will limit when I can use it.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Folks,

Is it safe to take off my sunglasses now??? Great color choice and the finish looks smooth as a baby's butt (whatever that means)…...

I especially love the last picture Andy. I have never seen a more determined look on someone's face in my entire life. The result proves it has paid off with that fantastic finish!!!

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Allen, I do tend to get in the zone when I'm painting, even with something so small!

I've had a few technical support guys describe my painting style as "like a robot", which to be fair is quite a compliment in a situation where perfect control of speed, distance, angle and overlaps is so crucial.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's the same colour as mine in my garage.

Oh cobblers, I've just woken up, it was a dream. Well if I had one, that's the colour I would want. The painting picture is amusing. Hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of equipment being used to spray a 1:24 scale model. Was the boss out, or is the Hot Wheels his/hers ?

D

Deleted member 7181

The boss is fine with it, as long as it doesn't interfere with work flow. We have a few modellers here (all die cast) so it isn't the first time this has happened.

I tend to get a bit of extra leeway since I ran the place for so many years. I only stepped down when the new owners decided that we should have a fully office based manager. That's not for me so I let one of the other guys take it.

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I like bright colours too. We painted the kitchen in our old house lime green, I drive a bright yellow car, and the wife had to put her foot down to stop me painting our current kitchen mango orange (we settled on a sunny yellow :cool: )

Great work from a professional ! The kitchen story reminds me of 'Only fools and Horses' episode with the Chinese Restaurant !!
Looking forward to the finished article !

D

Deleted member 7181

Haha, yes, we did get a few cracks about that at the time!

Progress has been slow on this. Wheels and lower half have been painted silver but I'm stuck on the front grill. It's chrome plated but most of it needs to be black, except for the recessed areas where the lights are. Several failed masking attempts have led me to now try flooding the area with liquid mask. Once that's dry I'll have another crack at painting it.

If that fails it'll be plan B - paint the whole thing black and brush in the recessed areas with silver. Won't be quite as good an effect as having the chrome behind the lenses but probably passable.