Hasegawa 1/24 Lamborghini Miura P400 SV

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

I've taken some time off to fit a kitchen for my mum. Getting my modelling fix in early before running around to CEF & Screwfix picking up supplies for today's messy job of chasing out the walls to fit new circuits for cooker, hob and extra sockets.

(Fear not H&S fans, this will all be checked & terminated by a qualified sparky / mate :smiling3:)

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Always handy to have professional mates:smiling2:. Once rewired all three floors of a 100+ year old carriage house house reno with six guys from the plant team. Cost me lunch & a case of beer + materials. The 250 amp service replacing the two 25 amp buss fuses was permitted and checked out by a certified electrician though. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes Paul, the wife is a manager at an electrical inspection & safety company so has loads of sparkys she can call on. The main currency there is beer too, must be an electrician thing :smiling5:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Andy,

Late to the build as usual and I have missed a bit. I must say that the interior work is fine as wine and looks tighter than a duck's butt!!! You just have a natural knack for these things….

In my honest opinion, I love the color of the primer coat and think it would be great for the end color. You see a lot of cars today that are finished in matt colors and they do look good. It's your baby sir and (pardon the pun) Drive On!!!!

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Allen, glad you like it.

Very little progress in the past few days as I'm under time pressure with the DIY thing. I've been delayed waiting for tradesmen to fix some nasties I uncovered along the way so my schedule has gone to pot. Two more days would have seen a fully working but undecorated kitchen, which was my aim, but I'm back to work tomorrow so it'll have to wait.

I've painted a few matt cars and whilst they look nice they really are a bind to work on. Any slight imperfections like dust spots can't be sanded and polished out (or you'd have a shiny spot) so it has to be perfect first time, or it's back into the booth for another go. Peugeot and Citroen even do a matt textured finish on some of their cars. That really is a laugh as you have to match the colour, texture, and gloss level, which varies from the factory and between panels on the same car!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I saw this in Germany - for cleaning the matt finish:P1100160.JPG
IIRC it was 195 euros!
Here's the car to use it on:
P1100156.JPG
(it's not a hover-Lambo, it's on a single post lift with the engine out).

But I think this one is rather nice too:
P1100153.JPG

Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

I suppose if you can afford the car then the dedicated cleaning products are pocket change.

Always loved the LM, it just shouts excess.

D

Deleted member 7181

Progress is slow what with everything else I have going on, but still moving forward :smiling3:

Partial engine has been painted, washed & fitted

hFAeuOe.jpg

Then all these bits needed putting on. Thankfully the instructions are very clear and give an assembly order. If only they had made painting those springs easier! I ended up kind of dry brushing them, which as you can imagine with red over black, took a lot of coats.

aN6K23d.jpg

And the end result. Air filters need a bit more work on the black seam/rubber seal and they have some decals to be added, but after 2 G&T's my hands weren't getting any steadier :smiling5:

0d8i4Vx.jpg

Xwmm6Ej.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Exhaust system and front suspension fitted.

4hVVT96.jpg

6YQDpqW.jpg

qltZJDR.jpg

That's pretty much the chassis/interior done now, I just need to paint and fit the wheels. Trouble is I seem to have mislaid them after stripping the chrome. I've put them in such a safe place that even I can't find them now :smiling5:

Many of the SV versions had gold wheels as in the box art, matched to the satin finish on the lower body. However customers could specify silver, as on the regular Muira, which is what I'm going for.

Body to paint and exterior details & glazing next.

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very good. The calipers came out very nice. No room for spaghetti headers:smiling2:. PaulE

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking very good. The calipers came out very nice. No room for spaghetti headers:smiling2:. PaulE
Thanks Paul. I'm going to pretend the headers/manifolds are in there, just hidden behind the bulkhead/firewall :smiling5:

I've thought about adding extra detail like wires and pipework to the engine but once the body is on you won't see any of it. Might as well save that bench time for a future kit.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Damn Scratchy,

That is looking real good Andy!!! But then again, you are in your natural element here. I like the shocks the best as they look so real with the red springs. I can well understand your point on the super detailing and not seeing it. Good to see you getting some bench (shed) time too...

Prost
Allen

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Allen.

Yes, I've done 19 days straight, mostly 12 hours each, so haven't had much modelling time. I've treated myself to a day off tomorrow though, ready to return to work on Friday for another long weekend shift of 4:30AM alarm calls :smiling5:

The bonus is we are generally quieter on a weekend so might get to paint the body at work in my lunch break :cool:

D

Deleted member 7181

The slotted rear engine covers had been bothering me since I opened the box. Unlike all the other parts they didn't seem very well moulded. It's hard to pick up on a photo but the surface was very rippled, almost like the plastic had flowed funny in the mould. Since it's in such a prominent position I had to do something about it.

Here's what I mean. I took this shot after starting on the lowest slat

Y0JeuTh.jpg

So I attacked it with just about every grade of abrasive I have. You can't beat starting with a coarse grit if you want something flat. Smooth stuff will just ride the waves, so I began with 180. After 40 minutes, working right up to a 6000 grit 3M Trizact disc and polishing with a microfibre cloth, it was looking much better, and ready for some semi-gloss black.

j8ojK0o.jpg

minitnkr

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Smart move. It could be there if you can't see it. Louvers came out great. PaulE