Hasegawa 1/48 F-22A Raptor

F

Fenlander

I have been in the garden all day, clearing a weedy bit and gravelling it prior to putting a really nice little water feature on it. two trips to B&Q for bags of pebbles. Calculated that five would do, bought six needed ten go back and by another six. Hay ho, no modelling at all today.....

C

Caledonia

John, I see that www.modelsforsale.com now sell the super metallics. Cheers Derek

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks Derek I've found them from one of my suppliers but they are out of stock at the moment, I will keep an eye out for when they come back in.

I've done a bit more today, I've sprayed the edge of the wings FS17875 White, you can't see in the pictures because I masked it ready to spray the rest of it, I've used Xtracrylix FS16440 Light Gull Grey and found mixing it with a little water gave much better results than using thinners

Finished the bay doors off

So far there has been no major problems with this kit, in fact it's been really good, the only real problem was fitting the two half's together but maybe I could have got a better fit if I had taken a bit more time.

The only other problems I've had have been of my own doing, if you look at the pictures of these rockets one of them has a fin missing, I had it in the tweezers then it vanished

The only other thing happened today, I don't know what it is, I think it's an ariel or something but it's been there all the way through the build now it's vanished as well, it's the opposite side of this pic

Next thing is the dark pattern on the wings, I'm not sure how I'm going to do this, I don't know if to make a stencil out of masking sheet or risk it free hand, any ideas?

F

Fenlander

Coming on well John. Freehand or mask.... I am sure it really depends on how soft edged t has to be. If it is hard then masking is the only real option though quite how you mask these large 'flat' areas that are full of curves I am not sure.

N

noble

Hi John what about usingblue tack od plastacene rolled into sausages, add this to the kit to form the pattern you want then spray inside the sausages once the paint is on take the blue tack away it creates an nice edge.

hope this is helpful

scott

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
To try and get the correct pattern I decided to blow up the instructions, place a piece of clear perspex over it, stick some masking tape to it and cut out

I knew I was going to get sharp edges

So once I had removed all the tape I went round the outside of each shape freehand with the lighter grey, it's give it a more blended finish

I think it turned out ok, just spayed it with Klear so leave it till tomorrow to do a bit more

C

Caledonia

Hi John, Lookig good, are you going to have a go at the Super Metallic Paint? Looking forward to seeing the finished Aircraft, should look spectacular. Cheers Derek

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
\ said:
Hi John, Lookig good, are you going to have a go at the Super Metallic Paint? Looking forward to seeing the finished Aircraft, should look spectacular. Cheers Derek
No not on this one, it's out of stock where I would get it from but as soon as it's in again I will get some.