Hasegawa 1/48 Harrier Gr.7

First Name
Chris
View attachment 36786View attachment 36787View attachment 36788View attachment 36789View attachment 36790View attachment 36791

Well after what seemed like a very long build I finally finished it. A few firsts for me on this one, first modern fighter (since I was a kid), first time pre-shading, first time using pledge multi surface wax. As you'd expect the kit is nicely detailed but I would say that for them money I would have expected some better fitting section. (mainly the wing fuselage join) Although in saying that it could be that I just prefer a good old Tamiya shake & make and if I'm honest a really should dry fit more and have more patience. I tried to fill a small gap in the canopy rim with revell contacta which seems to have caused a bit of misting inside (gutted) which of course I didn't notice until the mask came off. Anyway overall quite pleased (although I don't think I'll ever be trully happy with a kit as I find myself being too critical)

Views/comments/opinions/abuse all welcomed

Regards

Chris

View attachment 41018

View attachment 41019

View attachment 41020

View attachment 41021

View attachment 41022

View attachment 41023

DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0747.jpg

DSCF0750.jpg

DSCF0751.jpg

DSCF0754.jpg

DSCF0756.jpg

A

AJay

Hello Chris. I think you've built a beauty here! I absolutely love the stand you've made and think it makes a fine display piece. Where did you get that clear rod from?

As for being critical about our own work, I think most of us are the same. I could list 100s of faults with all my builds, and am the same with my aviation art. I just strive to make each one better than the next and try to remember to enjoy it. :smiling3:

First Name
Chris
Hi AJay, thanks for the comments, glad to hear it's not just me being critical. The acryllic rod came from a website called Wheelspin Model & hobbies, comes in packs of 10 220mm x 6.4mm rod for under £6. The base is a nice piece of english oak I scrounged from a local joinery, managed to get quite a big bit which I've cut down and bevelled for future stands. I must admit that I really like the name plate that came with the eduard photo etch set.

Cheers

Chris

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Chris that's a great build. looks very impressive on that stand. Well done.

Vaughan

First Name
Chris
Cheers Vaughn, I'll be totally honest getting praise

From you guys always makes me happier with the end result.

Regards

Chris

First Name
Chris
AJay you have piqued my curiosity with your post

' and am the same with my aviation art' Aviation Art?

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job Chris. Since the Harrier's retirement I've promised myself a decent model of a Harrier. Maybe this could be it.

Colin M.....

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Lovely looking Harrier Chris, the stand you have made shows it off to a tee, looks like its just taken off.

And don't be too hard on yourself, the harshest critic you will ever face is you.

And I'm with you Chris, can we see your "aviation art" please Ajay.

Tony.

P

Plastickitbasher

Chris

Stunning build, and like the others have said that stand really is the finishing touch. As for the build any problem areas as I might just treat myself to one of these

kits

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi chris, fantastic result. The harrier is great and the stand is excellent too, as for the marks on the canopy ,i cant even see them, so dont beat yourself up . It makes a great display, you should be well chuffed, cheers tony

First Name
Chris
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

There were a few issues with joins, mainly the wing-fuselage fit, around the canopy and the inatkes. Again a bit more dry fitting and sanding + a bit more patience may have improved this. I have felt on the last couple of Hasegawa kits that what could have easily been moulded in two parts they tend to mould in 4-5 parts making life that little bit more awkward / challenging but all in all a good kit and one I'll put down to the grand learning curve which will no doubt improve my future builds. Time to pull the Academy P-40 from the stash!!

Regards

Chris