Hasegawa 1/72 Apache

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Also, both the gun underneath the fuselage and the PNVS/TADS can be slaved to the gunner’s or pilot’s helmet, so they always turn where he’s looking.
Yes, was aware of that from something I saw years ago, I just hadn't got a clue what it was called! :smiling5:

Canopy masking this afternoon. Hasegawa have included the kind of double frame detail the real thing has - the main structural part then an inner Frame or beading that clamps the glass in place. Whilst this is a nice detail it made the masking harder as there was virtually no edge to work to as much of the frame part was thinner than my tape, and completely flush in some places with just a hint of a line where it should be.

9hWUdIf.jpg

UUOoe24.jpg

Got it all done to a reasonably acceptable level though

5TUMUhj.jpg

The frame was given a coat of the dark grey I'd used for the interior (German Grey lol) in case any was visible when looking into the cockpit, then the whole thing had a decent coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 to show if any more sanding was needed on the seams. On the whole it looks pretty good, but some of my rescribing needs more work

Sill7Ox.jpg

Leaving that to dry overnight I added some colour to these exhaust parts. MrC burnt iron, as per the call out. The instuctions would have you fit these much earlier on, before the engines, but I can just about squeeze them into place. This means I can leave them off until the whole thing is painted to save masking.

gWDiOII.jpg

Z41Kxsh.jpg

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The brush guard for the gun was added later as experience showed the gun & ammo feed could get hung up on stuff like tree limbs & wires in the heat of action. I see they modeled it as early production as shoulder armor plates for the crew are missing also. Shaping up nicely. Can't wait to see the finishes. PaulE

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Scottie.

No Paul, nothing like that in the box.

D

Deleted member 7181

Busy day so didn't get much shed time, but progress is progress.

I finished the final sanding and had another attempt at rescribing the panel lines. Then a full coat of black Mr Surfacer, which went on lovely and smooth, then some pre-shading with the white version which didn't.

I'm not sure if it's just white being white or whether the cold has affected it, but spraying was very stop/start and splattery due to tiny lumps in the primer which blocked the nozzle momentarily. I'll make sure I give it a good filter next time as it made the job hard work, not enjoyable, and the results aren't quite what I wanted. Should still look good with the topcoat on though :cool:

UGbVg2a.jpg

That's this at a standstill now until I get some more paint. I still haven't settled on what paint line to fully invest in so keeping stocks low. I really must try MRP as it gets rave reviews everywhere, but since it's not the most widely available line I'll have a go with the Tamiya lacquers first. Not that I've anything against Mr Color as I really like it, but there might be something out there that's even better :smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Coming along nicely, for an older kit it's building up well.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Joe.

Got some colour on this morning. I decided to go with the Model Air I had rather than waiting for something else to arrive. As ever I've struggled to pick up the pre shading on camera but it's probably my best effort yet. I'm not a fan of the massive contrast seen in some models anyway, but each to their own :smiling3:

zJXG9GQ.jpg

d47oNp9.jpg

nd8uB72.jpg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Great progress. All looking very good. Masking looks neat. Rescribing is quite a skill - I find it so easy to mess it up. White is a difficult colour to spray - almost as problematic as yellow in my experience.
Jim

Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good andy , as Jim says white can be a bugger in matt finish modelling paints . The pigment seems to lump up more readily than other colours for some reason , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Jim, the rescribing was quite successful in places in places so I'm happy with that. Not so much in other areas where I now have "tram lines" but there's more good than bad so I'll take it as a win lol

Cheers Tony. I need to pay more mind to my stirring and filtering. I wouldn't dream of skimping on those in the day job so ought to bring that home with me. I filtered the Model Air olive drab for this and was amazed at how many lumps were left behind, and the paint sprayed beautifully afterwards!

D

Deleted member 7181

Nearly there with this one.

Gave it a gloss coat and a panel line wash, then wrestled with the ageing decals. Most of them behaved themselves despite my usual silvering, but for the large black area on top of the winglets I decided to mask and spray it rather than risk the decal.

FTIYWXb.jpg

iEvCsSA.jpg

Gave her some legs so she can now stand up like a big girl, and added the missiles so she can fight like one.

UNka8Pi.jpg

77h5sVo.jpg

I'm waiting for the main rotor assembly to dry now. It's the first step in the instructions so that you can leave it plenty of time to dry, but I wanted to get most of the painting done on the blades while it was easier so it's a bit behind. Then it's a bit of detail painting, matt coat, then maybe a spot of light weathering

1eqsT14.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Paul. I've been playing with the camera settings on my new phone so it's showing the pre-shading up better now I think.

Pete, an Ikea tea infuser lol. I picked a couple up last time we were there and have split one of them up into two "bowls". Sits on top of my airbrush cup nicely so I don't have to juggle. Not the finest mesh but better than nothing.

fV9iGaL.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy this looking good, love the masking, very neat as expected !

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Andy, nice idea with the strainer.

D

Deleted member 7181

Pantyhose works great. PaulE
I don't really have the legs for them Paul but good idea. Not sure if they'd survive lacquers but might get some to use with water based.

Thanks John & Joe, and your chopping board idea came in handy for the rotors John.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I can only find water based or "make pretend" (odorless/nonleveling) enamels here anymore, except nail polish for some reason. PaulE

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Sorry very behind on this. Looking very good indeed. Looks like I'll be buying a diffuser on my next trip to Ikea!! :smiling3: