Wings on this morning. A tiny bit of filling required on the starboard root. If the rest of the kit is anything to go buy this was probably due to something I got about 1/2mm out. Also attached the tail,again excellent fit,you just need to be careful that the mating surfaces are dead true or you'll get a gap on one side or the other. I've also attached the horizontal stabilisers. It gives an idea of how well this all fits if I tell you that I haven't glued them at all yet! I've just noticed I've left the P (for port) label on as well,it stops me muddling them up!
I was going to do this at "sitzbereitschaft" on the runway with pilot aboard. The only picture I've seen of a Dora starting up has the cowling flaps open so I went for it that way. The only slight fly in the ointment is that I can't now fit the pilot in as the cockpit sill is narrower than his shoulders...Doh! I really should have known that (it's not my first Fw190) but never mind.
I'm still doing it ready to go,cowling flaps open and 12 degree flaps but the pilot must have slipped off for a wee or a crafty fag.
Really enjoying this build and it's great to see all the others as well.
Slow progress. Some dangly bits done,others (exhausts,pitot,morane aerial etc) still on sprues with a splash of paint on them. Hoping to get the thing primed today,domestic duties permitting.
Aidan,you can just make out the rear canopy,mostly hidden behind the spinner, masked and sprayed RLM66 (grey) which is the interior colour. Eventually it will be sprayed in one of the exterior camouflage colours.
Edit: BTW I now know this kit to be from a 2003 mold which explains a lot!
This morning I've been doing mostly stripes. Masked up the white lines. I cut tape to roughly 3mm strips. I don't want them all to look exactly the same.
I've also given a squirt of RLM76 to the sides and tail. I agonised over whether to go with a standard or late war variation. Based on the one known colour image I went with the standard version. My magnificent photography utterly fails to show the colour that's actually been applied!
If I get a chance this evening I'll mask this up and spray the red undersides. sadly work intervenes for now.
The Xtracrylix RLM76 looked like it would stand masking so I knocked off whilst the light was good and sprayed the red (RLM23). With some trepidation I removed my stripey masking to reveal...........a stripey Fw190 underside. It does indeed look pretty cool!
I've never built a model so quickly,it must be the GB getting to me.
Whilst waiting for things to dry on my D-9 I decided to knock together a few A-4s I had in my stash.
Actually not my workbench but the Focke Wulf assembly plant in Bremen. First piccy shows the tail empennage (a sub-contracted assembly) being joined to the fuselage. Note variations in camouflage. Second piccy shows wing assembly line. The camouflage may vary slightly in both pictures but the Balkenkreuz and Hakenkreuz are very accurately applied with the aid of stencils set to fixed points on the relevant structure.
Other green (RLM83) is on. I'm leaving this 'til tomorrow when I'll touch up,all three colours (76,82,83), and do a bit of post shading. All camo was done freehand with my trusty Iwata Eclipse.
It's a very nice kit Ian. Options for two of the so called papagei staffel (Red1 and Red 3) as well as a regular D-9 of JG3,Oskar Romm's machine. No different cowl for a D-11 but it could easily be done.
Most of the decals are now on. It looks german and shiny to me. I've never got this far with a model in under a couple of weeks....it's fun though. I'll seal all this in tonight and then on to weathering and final assembly.