Hasegawa Fw190D-9 in 1/32. - stona

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking good Steve. I'm hoping to add this kit to my stash after my 1/32 Hasegawa FW190 A8 is delivered. Just got to sneek it past the wife lol

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wings on this morning. A tiny bit of filling required on the starboard root. If the rest of the kit is anything to go buy this was probably due to something I got about 1/2mm out. Also attached the tail,again excellent fit,you just need to be careful that the mating surfaces are dead true or you'll get a gap on one side or the other. I've also attached the horizontal stabilisers. It gives an idea of how well this all fits if I tell you that I haven't glued them at all yet! I've just noticed I've left the P (for port) label on as well,it stops me muddling them up!

Starting to look like a Dora.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22902

View attachment 22903

wings on..jpg

tail on..jpg

F

Fenlander

Looking good Steve. I like the open cowling vents, looks much better than all sealed up.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I was going to do this at "sitzbereitschaft" on the runway with pilot aboard. The only picture I've seen of a Dora starting up has the cowling flaps open so I went for it that way. The only slight fly in the ointment is that I can't now fit the pilot in as the cockpit sill is narrower than his shoulders...Doh! I really should have known that (it's not my first Fw190) but never mind.

I'm still doing it ready to go,cowling flaps open and 12 degree flaps but the pilot must have slipped off for a wee or a crafty fag.

Really enjoying this build and it's great to see all the others as well.

Cheers

Steve (most definitely having fun)

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Slow progress. Some dangly bits done,others (exhausts,pitot,morane aerial etc) still on sprues with a splash of paint on them. Hoping to get the thing primed today,domestic duties permitting.

Aidan,you can just make out the rear canopy,mostly hidden behind the spinner, masked and sprayed RLM66 (grey) which is the interior colour. Eventually it will be sprayed in one of the exterior camouflage colours.

Cheers

Steve

Edit: BTW I now know this kit to be from a 2003 mold which explains a lot!

View attachment 22923

bits..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Lovely clean build as usual steve,excellent job. really looking forward to seeing this in all its stripy glory,especially as we saw one at the cosford model show today, just like it. cheers tony

B

Backbreaker

Really strong build Steve, lookin forward to seeing the paint go on this one.

Joolz.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
This morning I've been doing mostly stripes. Masked up the white lines. I cut tape to roughly 3mm strips. I don't want them all to look exactly the same.

I've also given a squirt of RLM76 to the sides and tail. I agonised over whether to go with a standard or late war variation. Based on the one known colour image I went with the standard version. My magnificent photography utterly fails to show the colour that's actually been applied!

If I get a chance this evening I'll mask this up and spray the red undersides. sadly work intervenes for now.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22970

View attachment 22971

stripey masks..jpg

76..jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Coming on great Steve. Believe me it looks amazing once the stripes are painted on. Mine went ok. Only had to repair a few spots.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Xtracrylix RLM76 looked like it would stand masking so I knocked off whilst the light was good and sprayed the red (RLM23). With some trepidation I removed my stripey masking to reveal...........a stripey Fw190 underside. It does indeed look pretty cool!

I've never built a model so quickly,it must be the GB getting to me.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 22973

stripes on..jpg

F

Fenlander

Whey hay, that is some colour scheme!!!!!

Tell you what, I am really impressed by the interest shown in the GB. Not just for the amount doing it but the sheer diversity of modelling. Great stuff folks.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Whilst waiting for things to dry on my D-9 I decided to knock together a few A-4s I had in my stash.

Actually not my workbench but the Focke Wulf assembly plant in Bremen. First piccy shows the tail empennage (a sub-contracted assembly) being joined to the fuselage. Note variations in camouflage. Second piccy shows wing assembly line. The camouflage may vary slightly in both pictures but the Balkenkreuz and Hakenkreuz are very accurately applied with the aid of stencils set to fixed points on the relevant structure.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
This is really comming together now Steve. Its soooooooooooo tempting.'

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Other green (RLM83) is on. I'm leaving this 'til tomorrow when I'll touch up,all three colours (76,82,83), and do a bit of post shading. All camo was done freehand with my trusty Iwata Eclipse.

It's a very nice kit Ian. Options for two of the so called papagei staffel (Red1 and Red 3) as well as a regular D-9 of JG3,Oskar Romm's machine. No different cowl for a D-11 but it could easily be done.

Steve

View attachment 23020

View attachment 23021

camo1..jpg

camo2..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Richy C

Looking good Steve , thanks for the info on the stripes I can understand the theory in it now , however I bet the pilots felt a bit uneasy flying with them stripes

Richy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Coat of Klear on this morning. It looks like it might need a second coat tonight. Ordered decals fron Hannants on the 7th but no sign of them yet! I'll probably just go with the kit ones.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23037

Klear 2..jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Most of the decals are now on. It looks german and shiny to me. I've never got this far with a model in under a couple of weeks....it's fun though. I'll seal all this in tonight and then on to weathering and final assembly.

Cheers

Steve

View attachment 23087

Decaled..jpg