Hataka Paints

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Was searching through evilbay at Su-27 bits and came across these paints(i also see John has some). Question is has anyone used these before? What are they like to spray? Are the colours good?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I've used their "Red Line" acrylics a couple of times, and they sprayed very well.

Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Al,
there are 3 ranges of Hataka paint, Red, Orange & Blue. The Red is optimised for airbrush ( think vallejo air ), the Blue is for brush ( Vallejo color ). The orange is lacquer based.
I've only used Red - they are very similar to Vallejo, and work well - they maybe a little thin, so two coats may be necessary - I've had Soviet Late WW2 aircraft, USN High Viz, British WW2 Armour, and one or two other sets. I'd buy them again ( providing the price was competetive!)
Dave

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
personally ive had lots of problems drying at the tip of the airbrush

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I've used their "Red Line" acrylics a couple of times, and they sprayed very well.
there are 3 ranges of Hataka paint, Red, Orange & Blue. The Red is optimised for airbrush ( think vallejo air ), the Blue is for brush ( Vallejo color ). The orange is lacquer based.
I've only used Red - they are very similar to Vallejo, and work well - they maybe a little thin, so two coats may be necessary - I'd buy them again ( providing the price was competetive!)

It is the Red Line ones i'm looking at. This set in particular https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hataka-E...-B-C-Acrylic-Paint-Set-HTK-AS104/323694704591 . I need paints for my Hobbyboss Su-27B and these seem a good match. At £14.51 delivered i'm not sure if that's a good price for them or not.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive recently used their red line paints Alan and like Dave found them very nice but two coats are needed for decent coverage. I didnt use their thinner though as the bottle I had developed strange crystal type stuff in the bottom so i just used vallejo acrylic thinner and this seemed to work fine, bear in mind though I only thinned them a tiny bit as theyre supposed to be airbrush ready. I used the European One USAF green and grey set which I paid about £12 for a few years ago so I dont think £14 delivered is bad at all , about £2.40 per bottle and theyre exactly the colours you need. cheers tony

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ve only used one, and though it sprayed well, it didn’t cover well at all. I tried USMC Green over white primer for the underside of my “Merry Christmas” LVTP-5, and two coats still wasn’t enough to get it to cover properly. Since this was the underside I could live with it, but if I’d have had to spray the upper sides, I would have needed at least one more coat, and perhaps even more than that over raised details. Maybe these paints are very good for those modellers who like to layer paint finishes, but I like it to covers in one go :smiling3:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Al,
pretty good price - on retail websites £11.69 seems to be the key figure, and when you factor in p&p, then about the same price................
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys. Might have to splash out for them. Trying to get paint conversions for the Flanker colours is a total pain