Having trouble. Help?

S

samclarke1991

How do I paint this ??

As you can see it’s not going well. Tried tidying with sharpened match, just can’t seem to get it right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 39

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
Try using a cocktail stick it's always worked for me failing that start over with masking tape.

First Name
Dave
As Peter says a cocktail stick can be used to scrape the paint off the areas where you don't want it.The best WA to paint canopy frames is to mask off the Windows first.Pre cut masking sets aren't expensive and make the job much easier.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Sam
I’m with Dave on this, pre cut masking is very useful with the saving in effort and time it gives you masking up for airbrushing. However, it is not that helpful if you are using a hairy brush. If you are brush painting you need several things to go right.....you need a decent brush that holds a point, paint at the right consistency so it covers ok but flows well, and a little technique when painting....the technique is to unload the brush before starting so the paint flows off the bristles when you want it to, not floods off as soon as you touch the surface. To do this, dip the brush in the paint, paint a couple of short lines on photocopy (or similar) paper to unload the excess paint, then, and only then, start painting the model. You may need to go over some areas more than once to get full coverage, but that is usual with most paint. The last tip is to have another fine brush to hand that is damp (not wet) with whatever thinner suits the paint. Use that to tidy the lines if they overshoot while they are still wet. This lot should make things a little easier....
Cheers
Tim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Pre-cut masks may help, but it’s also easy enough to mask it yourself by putting a piece of tape onto the canopy and burnishing it down against the frame, then cutting it along that with a sharp, well-pointed knife blade. If the frame is fairly thin you can cover much or all of the canopy with one piece of tape and then cut out the frame for all of the windows, but with a thick frame you may have to do this per window.

In your case, you may be best off trying to strip the paint off and starting again. Oven cleaner (the white foamy kind) works for most model paint, and Dettol (the smelly cleaning agent) apparently does too: put the part in an enclosed container and make sure it’s entirely covered with the stuff you’re using, then let it sit for a day or so and rinse under the tap, possibly with an old toothbrush to scrub it. However, I would strongly advise you to try first on the sprue that this canopy was part of, to make sure the material stays clear.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Tim is spot on.
I only brush paint and looking at your photo Sam, I think you have tried to paint the frame in one go and the paint has been too thick.
I never use masking, preferring to do the job freehand.
As an add on to Tim's excellent advise can I suggest the following?
Take a close look at the frame moulding. You will see and feel slight ridges on the clear plastic where the 'metal' frame is. Thin your paints and with a very fine tipped brush follow the frame lines. If your paint is thin enough it will run very nicely into the frame grooves. This first coat will outline the frame making subsequent coats easier to apply. You will need at least two coats of paint.

Cheers.
Ron