Hawker Hurricane gun colours

A

AVB99

Hello

I don't suppose anyone has any colour schemes for the browning guns and amunition packs in a Huuricane wing please? Am building the Airfix 1/24 model and the instructions are next to useless when it comes to colour.

Thanks

Aidan

B

Bunkerbarge

A matt acrylic gunmetal is a good base with a wash of brown oil paint for the shadows and then dry brush a mix of the gunmetal with a spot of silver added to it to pick out the highlights. The ammo boxes I would suggest would be a satin finish olive drab with generous paint chip effects but there are more knowledgeable members than me out there so stand by.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/3020950091_7977ba6713.jpg

http://hawker-restorations-ltd.co.uk/_images/_articles/articlepics/fpjun05008.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The restoration has gone for interior grey/green,like the cockpit. I would have thought that there was a good chance that this area would have been finished in an aluminium lacquer like the wheel wells. I'd say it's virtually certain to have been one of those two options. I shall have a dig at lunch time.

This may be one of those perrenial questions (like Spitfire wheel wells) where there isn't a definitive answer!

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

I would have thought Richard was right on the guns and ammo boxes but what the bay colour was, I have no idea. Have to admit though that I would use interior green simply because I know no better........

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've had a look at all the Hurricane pictures on this computer and have found only two showing the area concerned. In the first one a Hurricane is being armed and what is visible of the interior of the wing/MGbay looks quite light in colour. I would go 60/40 aluminium.

The other picture is lower quality and of a destroyed Hurricane. The bay colour matches the colour og the fuselage frames. If these were finished in an aluminium lacquer (like the Spitfire rear fuselage) then the visible bay is aluminium too.

I'm afraid there is nothing conclusive in the images,see what you think.

There may be an instruction regarding the painting of this area or possibly a photo of an unrestored aircraft somewhere but I'm away from home and can't look for anything like that at the moment.

BTW the only good picture (from early 1941) I've seen of the removable ammunition boxes used on the Spitfire clearly shows them to be unpainted bare metal.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator: