Hawker Hurricane Mk1, 1/72, Airfix

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
wasnt going to do another plane for a bit but i need something to keep me ticking over whilst the T-60 is at the 'getting there' stage and this appealed.....another for my WW2 RAF long term project

hurric10.jpg

dscf0210.jpg

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Always nice to see these warbirds comming together, will be following along :thumb2:
Have fun

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Will be interested to see how this turns out, as I have this one in the stash.

ATB.

Andrew

First Name
Carl
wasnt going to do another plane for a bit but i need something to keep me ticking over whilst the T-60 is at the 'getting there' stage and this appealed.....another for my WW2 RAF long term project

View attachment 411844

View attachment 411845
This one is on my list to do also. Will compliment the Lancaster and spitfire I already completed.
will watch this one progress.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice start. I should build more 1:72 before the eyes fail. You get a fairly quick, satisfying result in this scale, mostly.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
So often the Hurricane takes a back seat to the Spitfire and yet I think I read somewhere that there were more of them. 1/72 is a nice scale for planes and vehicles are readily available if you fancy making a dio. I'll enjoy seeing how this goes on.
Jim

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Paul
So often the Hurricane takes a back seat to the Spitfire and yet I think I read somewhere that there were more of them. 1/72 is a nice scale for planes and vehicles are readily available if you fancy making a dio. I'll enjoy seeing how this goes on.
Jim
Hi Jim

I think you're right, at least I remember reading more than once that Hurricanes responsible for more kills in the battle of Britain than Spitfires.

Also read somewhere that apparently Hurricanes could out-turn Spitfires and by a lot and Spitfires could out-turn 109s. If I recall correctly, the turning circle for a 109 was quoted as 880 yds, Spitfire 800 yards and a Hurricane 600 yards. I have no idea what speeds these turning circles were being made at but my assumption would be that the slower you are the tighter the circle.

ATB.

Andrew

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I believe one of the problems with the Hurricane was that the early ones didn't have variable-pitch props, so if the pitch was set for good flight performance they could barely get off the ground. They accounted for a lot more 'kills' than the Spitfire, largely because they were a more stable gun platform. The thick wing allowed a wide variety of armament to be fitted. The Hurricane was also a lot easier to build and to maintain that the Spit.
Pete

Reactions: JR

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
Jim

lol....you should look up my RAF Daguerre thread......this Hurri will be part of that

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, I made this self same kit for the' Starter Set G.B.' in 2019.

A cracking build. No problems whatsoever. The decals were first class too.

Enjoy.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Paul, I think Pete is right. The roundels will help balance things out. Not much future in messing with the colours at this stage.

Anyway, I think it looks fine as it is without even thinking about any alterations.

Ron

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul,

Got to agree with Pete and Ron.

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can't comment on the camo Paul, but enjoying the build .