Hawthorne Trench in Kent

First Name
Andrew
I spent Saturday morning in a group of reconstructed WW1 trenches near Folkestone in Kent. They have a small area of German trenches (which they will extend) and then an extensive area of British trenches showing features like dugouts, Field Aid Post, latrine, etc. You are Guided round by young Toby Dingle, who dug the trenches on his dad's farm after a visit to Belgium and France. They've had help from historian Andy Robertshaw, but the trenches are on their farm and the open days are run by them. Its a very different experience being in a trench, rather than just looking at photos, so I thoroughly recommend that anyone actually goes into the trenches to experience everything except the mortal fear.

A great place for diorama ideas and inspiration!

Hawthorne Trenches - book through their Facebook page or hawthornetrenchinfo@gmail.com . Open days will run at the weekends through the year.
Andy Belsey
German trenches
IMG_1057.JPG

British trenches
IMG_1075.JPG

Last edited:

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
looks fascinating, Andy.
Have you been to the original practice trenches at RAF Halton?

First Name
Andrew
looks fascinating, Andy.
Have you been to the original practice trenches at RAF Halton?
No,
I used to be in touch with Andy Claesons who was part of the team who constructed them. Last I heard was they had been closed because of a building nearby with an asbestos roof or a H&S issue like that? If they are open, I'd like to visit. You know me - I'm trench crazy!!

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
I tried to arrange it through Andy on the other forum but got no response. Eventually I just contacted the base,I can't remember how,and they put me in touch with someone else there. I was taking my grandson there for a flying experience, so I was able to tie it in.
I'll see if I can track down the email trail and PM you the details

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I tried to arrange it through Andy on the other forum but got no response. Eventually I just contacted the base,I can't remember how,and they put me in touch with someone else there. I was taking my grandson there for a flying experience, so I was able to tie it in.
I'll see if I can track down the email trail and PM you the details
Neil, I am in contact with Andy on face book if that's any help.
John.