'heavey Metal' Cat D8h Dozer

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I forgot to ask. Is that the old 1/25 AMT kit?

J

John Rixon

So Jim, do you thin your acrylic with water alone, or do you add some sort of matte medium to it? I'm guessing that you are scrumbling it on with a busy motion of the brush, but, when I try it, as the stuff dries so quickly, I'm finding it difficult to avoid awful tide marks at the edges. I'm running tests on both oils and acrylics, both on plastic milk bottles, and the oils, of course, are easier, as they can be blended out at the edges for at least 2 hours after application, but you seem to have his technique nailed with acrylics, and I want to learn!!

Fantastic job as ever (goes without saying, these days), I'm definitely going to have a crack at the Mirror Models dozer one day, and this build has simply increased the need to do so.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I forgot to ask. Is that the old 1/25 AMT kit?
Yes it is Terry, early 70s I think but there is no hint of a date anywhere on box or instr. sheet. Though a very fine model there was quite a bit of flash and very pronounced seams so quite a bit of cleaning up had to be done but I feel it was worth it. I really like the heavy equipment theme and hope to build more of them in the future though there aren't very many available............Jim:smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Yes it is Terry, early 70s I think but there is no hint of a date anywhere on box or instr. sheet. Though a very fine model there was quite a bit of flash and very pronounced seams so quite a bit of cleaning up had to be done but I feel it was worth it. I really like the heavy equipment theme and hope to build more of them in the future though there aren't very many available............Jim:smiling3:
I haven't changed my name Jim, but you're forgiven!

You're right about the shortage of kits for construction equipment, but there is some hope! Mirror models do a range of 1/35 tractors and Diamond trucks, and of course there's the Meng D90. There's also this queer beastie:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391346531082?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've bought one and I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This looks fantastic and something you don't see very often of.

That's the best CAT I've seen in a while ( Ive seen a few haulage trucks/ low loaders going up and down the M74 carrying catapillers but this sounds huge compared to the ones over here.

Your weathering skills are true genius and the wear and tear and metal scuffs are sublime.

Did you tell your wife about the chain you pinched!!

This is truly excellant work

Robert

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I haven't changed my name Jim, but you're forgiven!
You're right about the shortage of kits for construction equipment, but there is some hope! Mirror models do a range of 1/35 tractors and Diamond trucks, and of course there's the Meng D90. There's also this queer beastie:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391346531082?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've bought one and I'll post some pics when it arrives.
So sorry Dave:oops:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
So Jim, do you thin your acrylic with water alone, or do you add some sort of matte medium to it? I'm guessing that you are scrumbling it on with a busy motion of the brush, but, when I try it, as the stuff dries so quickly, I'm finding it difficult to avoid awful tide marks at the edges. I'm running tests on both oils and acrylics, both on plastic milk bottles, and the oils, of course, are easier, as they can be blended out at the edges for at least 2 hours after application, but you seem to have his technique nailed with acrylics, and I want to learn!!
Fantastic job as ever (goes without saying, these days), I'm definitely going to have a crack at the Mirror Models dozer one day, and this build has simply increased the need to do so.
Many thanks John, I use just plain water to thin for washes and such. These are the paints I useth?&id=OIP.M52ea5fee8c78c7bc04011f00d534908do0&w=225&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

about half a buck each and come in every imaginable color. One thing about them is that they have to be applied in many thin layers with an almost completely dry brush {for weathering} For metalizing I find that the good old Testors enamels to work best. Silver cut with some black and a hint of brown in some cases. Again dry brushing is a very tedious technique with washes being re-applied in stages and in varying hues and shades. this particular model needed to be built and weathered in various stages of construction and though the temptation to smack it together was strong prudence and patients had to be observed to get it the way I wanted it to look.

Thanks again for your kind words..........Cheers....Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
do real like the looks of this one,the weathering and the blade looks great,
and wear in all the right spots,lov it Jim a master, :smiling3:
Thanks Monica, I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I know I originally was going to have it crushing a car but I really want to start my Falaise dio as a change of pace.

Still trying to work out the details and planning on it and will do a work in progress thread of course as soon as I get something done worth posting on it

Cheers...Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
That is one superb build, Jim.
Top work all the way.....

Ron
Thanks Ron, I really appreciate that............Cheers....Jim:smiling3:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Love this Jim , as has been said its weathered perfectly , just the right amount of worn paintwork and dirt to show a busy ,well used machine. its a shame there arent more construction machinery kits , everyone seems to love them , they would be a big seller i'm sure. great job , cheers tony

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Many thanks John, I use just plain water to thin for washes and such. These are the paints I useView attachment 142836 about half a buck each and come in every imaginable color. One thing about them is that they have to be applied in many thin layers with an almost completely dry brush {for weathering} For metalizing I find that the good old Testors enamels to work best. Silver cut with some black and a hint of brown in some cases. Again dry brushing is a very tedious technique with washes being re-applied in stages and in varying hues and shades. this particular model needed to be built and weathered in various stages of construction and though the temptation to smack it together was strong prudence and patients had to be observed to get it the way I wanted it to look.
Thanks again for your kind words..........Cheers....Jim:smiling3:
Ah yes! I have been buying these too, at our local discount shop, a bit morte expensive here - £1, which is about $1.45 - but for 2 oz this is really cheap, and, as you say, a big selection of colours! I used them for my Panzer iii for the overall mud ground, before going in with the plaster of paris. They're good quality and I'm inclined to use them more. I suspect that folks here would find them invaluable for dioramas too!

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Ah yes! I have been buying these too, at our local discount shop, a bit morte expensive here - £1, which is about $1.45 - but for 2 oz this is really cheap, and, as you say, a big selection of colours! I used them for my Panzer iii for the overall mud ground, before going in with the plaster of paris. They're good quality and I'm inclined to use them more. I suspect that folks here would find them invaluable for dioramas too!
Yes and also they are so easy to work with once you get used to them, they cost a fraction of the model specific paints and besides there isn't a model shop within a hoot and a holler from where I am

and the nearest is over an hours drive and the proprietors are a couple of snooty bum-wipes imo plus there prices are astronomical. There's a Wal-Mart and a little craft store owned by the sweetest little old lady only a half hour away, that's how I roll.............Jim:smiling3:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
Love this Jim , as has been said its weathered perfectly , just the right amount of worn paintwork and dirt to show a busy ,well used machine. its a shame there arent more construction machinery kits , everyone seems to love them , they would be a big seller i'm sure. great job , cheers tony
Thanks Tony, there are a few about, kinda hard to track down but eventually I 'll find another, would like to stay with the 1/25 scale so they might sit with each other as a collection.

Maybe if the stars and planets align properly one day I'll procure another..............Jim:smiling3:

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Yes and also they are so easy to work with once you get used to them, they cost a fraction of the model specific paints and besides there isn't a model shop within a hoot and a holler from where I am
and the nearest is over an hours drive and the proprietors are a couple of snooty bum-wipes imo plus there prices are astronomical. There's a Wal-Mart and a little craft store owned by the sweetest little old lady only a half hour away, that's how I roll.............Jim:smiling3:
I've been working away, using your method, on a large plastic milk bottle. Ok, so I primed it, but mostly to create an even base colour so I could see what was going on (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it). It'll come as no surprise to you that I achieved a beautiful, deep and rich Panzer grey, then an Olive drab, with a matter of about 5 coats. Totally smooth and you can still see the subtle texture that these milk bottles have through the paint. I then repeated the process, but using a couple of drops of Liquitex acrylic matte medium as part of the thinner, just to see if it made any difference. It did, but it was subtle, slightly less wet in consistency and it acted a bit like a wetting agent, or flow improver. Either way, I can now, finally see what you are doing and how you are doing it!

I'm now going to see how this plays out over fine surfaces like engine grilles, but if I keep the brush dry, it should be fine. My last test is gonna be trying Liquitex retarder in this mix, as I do love the ability to make adjustments after a few minutes! I raise my glass to you Jim! :smiling3:

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
thats a cracking build and the paint work and the weathering is spot on buddy top marks

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
\ said:
I've been working away, using your method, on a large plastic milk bottle. Ok, so I primed it, but mostly to create an even base colour so I could see what was going on (that's my story, and I'm sticking to it). It'll come as no surprise to you that I achieved a beautiful, deep and rich Panzer grey, then an Olive drab, with a matter of about 5 coats. Totally smooth and you can still see the subtle texture that these milk bottles have through the paint. I then repeated the process, but using a couple of drops of Liquitex acrylic matte medium as part of the thinner, just to see if it made any difference. It did, but it was subtle, slightly less wet in consistency and it acted a bit like a wetting agent, or flow improver. Either way, I can now, finally see what you are doing and how you are doing it!
I'm now going to see how this plays out over fine surfaces like engine grilles, but if I keep the brush dry, it should be fine. My last test is gonna be trying Liquitex retarder in this mix, as I do love the ability to make adjustments after a few minutes! I raise my glass to you Jim! :smiling3:
Glad you're getting the hang of it, just keep at it and you'll find you don't need any of that fancy stuff;)...............Jim:smiling3: