Heinkel 111 Colours

First Name
Gary
On the ICM painting pages it show two colours on the upper camoflauge. In the pictures it looks dark green as a grey green which is lighter, much lighter. Yet the colours suggested are Tamiya XF-27 (RLM70) and XF-61(RLN71). Black Green and Dark Green. Essentially they look pretty much the same colour when applied. I will wait until the XF61 is fully dried first as it does look a bit "greyer" than when wet. Looking at oter pictures the colours do seem close and on others a lot greyer where people have gone for more of a contrast. Am I going mad ?

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have RLM 70 (Schwartzgrun) as XF-27 and RLM 71 (Dunkelgrun) as XF-13 with RLM 65 (Hellblau) as XF-23 underneath

First Name
Gary
I took the colours, XF 27 & XF61 to use from the ICM build instructions. There is a difference to be fair the XF61 is slightly grey. Looking at other pictures again the camo is very subtle in its shades. I think the colour schemes in the instructions are there to show the different areas rather than the actual colours. Just saw a docu on Prime where was in colour and the HE 111s they showed looked to be all one colour at first glance but then you could see the different coloured areas. Subtle as I say.

The XF13 as a green is a nice colour

I'll stick with the ones I have. I think it will look business like in its darkness

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
I use XF23 and I did think about Vallejo 71.101 Light Blue RLM78 which is a nice blue as well. Not overly concerned over exact historical accuracy so close enough will do at a push

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
On the ICM painting pages it show two colours on the upper camoflauge. In the pictures it looks dark green as a grey green which is lighter, much lighter. Yet the colours suggested are Tamiya XF-27 (RLM70) and XF-61(RLN71). Black Green and Dark Green. Essentially they look pretty much the same colour when applied. I will wait until the XF61 is fully dried first as it does look a bit "greyer" than when wet. Looking at oter pictures the colours do seem close and on others a lot greyer where people have gone for more of a contrast. Am I going mad ?

RLM 70 and RLM 71 are both dark green. In B&W photographs the contrast between the two is so low that they invariably look like one colour (hence the old Airfix instructions for their 1/24 Ju 87 all those years ago).
Even when seen in rare original colour footage they look similar. This is a capture from a genuine colour film, not colourised.

109-3grey gun troughs.jpg

A lot of modellers like to enhance the difference between the two colours because they think it looks better. That's absolutely fine, it's their model after all!

I try to get the colour as close to 'realistic' as I can.

IMG_1944_web.jpg

As you can see, a very low contrast scheme.

You are definitely not going mad :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
According to "The Luftwaffe Profile Series No. 9" RLM 70, 71 and 65. Hope this helps. Rick H.

First Name
Gary
I like that low contrast effect. Those reallife photos are similar to the ones I saw and in the documentary. It did look all one colour in certain light. My slight indifference to being historically correct only goes as far as using an alternative colour that is close to the suggested original as possible. Not adding a completely different colour. But thats fine if folk want to do that. I was tempted to use a dark grey as the alternative XF27 as I've already sprayed the XF61 camo. But I've decided to stick with the XF27.

Theres a couple of Vallejo greens 71.258 and 71.324 which were under consideration. But I appreciate the debate. Alternative views or even just confirmation are always useful.

Last edited: