Heinkel He 219 A-7 UHU

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
That's looking fantastic, great detail, looking at the aerial mounts i'd say they look big enough to mask off if you're careful not to snap one. (difficult to really judge by pic I know but?If i'm masking anything small and fddly I usually lay some strips of tape on my cutting mat and slice them into thinner strips then build up layers, same principal for canopy masking too.
thanks Mike , snapping one off is exactly why I'm worried about masking,I'm thinking maybe tack glueing the nose on and removing it later just not sure what glue would be best to use without damage?

M

m1ks

What about Blu Tack? i'm sure that'd hold the nose firmly enough whilst spraying?

T

treyzx10r

thanks Mike ,maybe Blu tack goes by a different name here in the states not seen it over here. I'm going to try epoxy on a piece of heat stretched sprue going through an existing hole in the nose and joining up with the forward bulkhead hope it holds

B

Bunkerbarge

They do have Blu Tac in the States but it is white and under a completely differnt name. It's well worth having some in your tool box as I use it a lot for holding things temporarily.

That cockpit just looks so good!!

S

sprayman

In the USA I think blu tak might fall under:

Sticky Tak

Tack Putty

DUCK Poster Putty

Sticky Putty

Sticky Tack

Velcro Sticky Fix Tak

A great job there Trey.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Could dobble side tape do the trick? Failing that there is always chewing gum. THAT i know you canget in the states!!! LOL

Dont think I would use epoxy. Try with pva or a rubber type glue.

Ian M

J

jlk2

\ said:
In the USA I think blu tak might fall under .
I bought Blu Tack thru Amazon.com last week, as Blu-Tack Reusable Adhesive. It may have been available from other stores, but I believe that my search for it on Google was not terribly productive as far as stores in the US.

Amazon markets it for other sellers, so be prepared to pay a little for the product and a fortune in shipping/handling.

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
What colour do the instructions give for the part of the antenna structure that you showed? Similar arrays on other types (I don't have a good enough picture of your aircraft) seem to show that part in the base fuselage colour,typically RLM76.

Here is an array on a Ju88.

Cheers

Steve

F

Ferrets Bueller

This is coming alonng nicely, with some very nice detailing work, i will be watching this one as i cant wait for the camo scheme.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I saw a program on the TV about Smithsonian National Air & Space Museum (NASM) Udvar-Hazy Complex I — Boeing Aviation Hangar and they have one of these under restoraltion. The "Expert aviation Historians" where having a right old game figuring out the paint and camo. Then they found it. UNDER the paint that was painted on top of it!!!

Unfortunatly you cant do that, but you might be able to find some pictures of it. I dont know where you are in the states, but maybe you are near by and could go se for your self!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sorry just found this one too! SVSM Gallery :: Heinkel He 219 Uhu Fuselage, NASM Udvar-Hazy Center, by John Heck loads of photos!!

Well 12, but they are all in colour!

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Wow! Restorations. What's with those colours,I can't believe they've been matched to the original colours (RLM75 and 76). I've made the effort to seek out original artefacts around the world on my travels and have never seen that much variation from the standards on any of them! Also a look at any of the B+W photos of that reversed mottle scheme shows the lighter colour (if it was indeed applied second) was far more loosely applied.

This after they uncovered original paint,it does my head in!

Cheers

Steve

S

sprayman

The damn restorations, dont know where they get their colours from, at work give us a piece of paint chip, we stick it on a spectrometer, and can get 90-95 % accuracy of a colour match, so why cant these guys do the same.

M

m1ks

Obviously Blu Tack is a UK brand name, (at least it's one that won't inherit a bloody stupid name from it's US counterpart, i'm thinking specifically of Snickers, which was Marathon in the UK, not that Marathon makes sense but Snickers just doesn't work in the UK, still doesn't sound right to this day)

Anyhow, veering off the point a wee bit.

Blu-Tack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a butchers at the above Wiki page, theres a list of US, Canadian, etc etc variants, Apparently an orange one by Elmers, (which is a name i've heard lots, Elmers glue e.g. by US modellers)

T

treyzx10r

thanks for all the helpful info and kind words Richard and Paul,the antanae base is the body color rlm 76 Steve. Ian unfortunately the musuem is a 20 hour drive north.Mike thanks for the link on the blu tach.Ray I paint as well and these restorers could'nt match a pair of socks,most likely they do'nt have a spectrum analyzer could'nt say why a restore facility would'nt though.

Trey

S

sprayman

Im sure you will do a better paint job Trey than the restorers,looking forward to the next part of this build....

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Right then,time for some contemporary evidence,all B+W and all from my hard drive.

Firstly all the images I have found of this type with a black lower surface feature the reversed pattern of an RLM75 base colour with lines of RLM76 oversprayed,that much the restoration has correct. I have no idea if this was always the case.

For you expert sprayers,I doubt that this would pass muster.

The aircraft without a black lower surface are in the more common scheme of overall RLM76 with mottling or streaking in RLM75. This matches the Heinkel factory scheme approved by the RLM.This scheme was common to many nightfighters and features in most profiles of the He219.

Here's an example. Notice how diffuse the oversprayed colour is.

Finally a model for the 76 over 75 over black scheme by Osvaldo Viggiani,nice job,but he is wrong to say "It is irrefutable that almost the all late period Luftwaffe night fighters such as the He 219, Ju 88, Bf 110 and Me 262 B1 u1 were painted using a reverse pattern camouflage of 76 Light Blue over solid 75Grey Violet, on squiggle, net, irregular blotches and cross hatched style."

As far as I can establish (nightfighters are not my main interest) the black bottoms were fairly short lived and given the orders for amounts of different colours to be applied,by weight,an overall base of RLM76 was required. Logically overspraying a lot of RLM76 (see the pictures) over a base of RLM75 is a waste of paint,something the Germans were hardly in a position to do.

I hope this has spread more light than heat,back to Trey's excellent model now

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sprayman

Damn fine interesting reading there Steve, bookmarked for future use.

T

treyzx10r

thanks Ray I'll try to do it justice ,wow Steve great research thanks ! I've decided against the black bottom and shot the rlm 76 today great timing as my new airbrush arrived today.I used modelmaster thinned 50/50 with mineral spirits

flowed out pretty nice the new airbrush is working up to par I think

detailed the landing gear a bit and gave them a wash(thanks for the tip Graham;))

and since the cowlings stay solid rlm76 went ahead and gave them a wash as well

and the exhaust suppressors are ready for mounting

I'm going to try and start the dreaded mottle this weekend time between the chores and side job allowing

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely wash in the panel lines and a great example in the last picture of how wash can be equally effective on raised detail as much as scribed detail.