heinkel he111 h-22 ...aircrew

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there ...preparing to build the revell h-22 1/48 ... there r 3 figures for the aircrew and the colour denoted for their clothing on the plans is "blue grey". Is this the same as the RLM76 ....which is the light blue grey to be used for the undersurfaces ....tx Lindsey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's more of a light grey with a hint of blue that you are after. RLM 76 is too blue.

Are they wearing a flight suit or a jacket and baggy looking trousers? I'm guessing the former but you never know with model kits.

Here's a 1942 suit,looking a bit sorry for itself but the colour is only a bit faded.

Will yours be carrying a V1?

Cheers

Steve

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
tx steve --- yes the kit does have a V1 although i am a little undecided on whether to fit it or not.

A further question on the flying suits - i have seen suits which are khaki / brownish in colour ... the pic on the side of the box shows one of the crew member's wearing this colour suit. Where does that colour fit in?

tx

lindsey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Lindsey,that sounds like the "Kombination Sommer" which was a light weight one piece suit introduced (going by its stores number) in 1934. As the name suggests it was for warm weather use. It was discontinued in 1941 but some may well have survived until later. BoB era bomber crews are usually seen wearing this outfit.

Cheers

Steve

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
the cockpit with crew ...

righto started my heinkel he111 a few days ago with the initial painting work of the smaller bits and pieces ... here is the cockpit completed with the pilot and the bombardier ..the figure termed "officer" in the plans is also completed but considering that he is standing with a briefcase in his hand I am not quite sure where he fits into the scheme of things .....all in all a good start i think .....

View attachment 37457

View attachment 37458

View attachment 37459

View attachment 37460

SANY0012.jpg

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0009.jpg

SANY0010.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

I suspect the guy standing with a briefcase is intended to add to a diorama setting and so could be considered as ground crew.

As for your figures, one thing I'd like to suggest is that you tone down the glossy appearrance with a thin coat of matt clear. This will stop the figures from looking so shiny and make them considerably more realistic.

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
tx Richard ... your point is well taken ... the figures are painted with both acrylic and a enamel paints .... will any matt clear do the job ...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
tx Richard ... your point is well taken ... the figures are painted with both acrylic and a enamel paints .... will any matt clear do the job ...
Yes it will. They look good and Richard's suggestion will make them look even better.

Cheers

Steve

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
Right - will post some pics later but i am actually at work but need some help with my heinkel. I worked on the panel lines last nite on the underside of the aircraft ....i use burnt umber acrylic (life colour) and thin it quite a bit .. I run the paint brush down the panel lines and then wipe off the excess with a soft cloth .... it seems to be the right thing to do but when look at other models their panel lines are almost "perfectly" defined compared to mine (smudged a bit, thicker etc) ... any hints / tips / suggestions to help me get better at this technique.

tx a ton Lindsey

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good! Nice job on the 'greenhouse'on the nose too.

Cheers

Steve

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
Tx Steve ... managed to finish the camouflage yesterday and some weathering and I must say I am rather pleased with the results .... The scheme now calls for light blue blotches / mottle to be spread over the upper surfaces but I am not so sure that i have the heart to do it as the splinter camo scheme looks just right to me. Just out of interest - i am building this out of the box (as per normal for me) and will obviously use the decals provided ... are the Works Numbers supplied with the decals accurate (werksnummer 3107)?? Having been on this site for a bit now I am now more curious about the history/"career" of the aircraft that I building. Tx Lindsey

Last edited by a moderator:

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
Last edited by a moderator: