Heinkel He111 H-6 camo

First Name
Carl
My next build will be the revel 1:48 scale heinkel and I would really like to do the night camo paint scheme. However this looks very challenging. To airbrush by hand iI think would be way above my skill level so perhaps spraying through some form of stencil or maybe a long session of funny shape Blu tac bits. Has anyone attempted this style of camo and how did they go about it?

Cheers Carl

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I used Blu-tac on my Ju87 G2. Came out ok and i would recommend it. Obviously just make the lines thinner then i did.

IMG_1927.JPG

First Name
Carl
I used Blu-tac on my Ju87 G2. Came out ok and i would recommend it. Obviously just make the lines thinner then i did.

View attachment 383455
Thanks for your comments and picture.
I think you are right, blu tac may be the best option. Lots of time and patience on this one. as you say, basically as you have done but double the amount of lines.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It was really easy. Just painted the 'normal' camo first. then i added rolled blu-tac. Then sprayed the white wash. This was all many years ago and i would make a better job of it now but. I still like the effect.But a word of warning. The 1/48 Revell kit is a big kit (i'm in the middle of building it) and you'll use a lot of blu-tac doing this scheme.

First Name
Carl
It was really easy. Just painted the 'normal' camo first. then i added rolled blu-tac. Then sprayed the white wash. This was all many years ago and i would make a better job of it now but. I still like the effect.But a word of warning. The 1/48 Revell kit is a big kit (i'm in the middle of building it) and you'll use a lot of blu-tac doing this scheme.
Yes, it does look a big box. I was wondering which way to do the camo, e.g. lots of little shapes to spray the lines or lots of lines to spray shapes? Either way I guess it may be difficult to get consistent width lines unless your rolling is very accurate.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I was wondering which way to do the camo, e.g. lots of little shapes to spray the lines or lots of lines to spray shapes? Either way I guess it may be difficult to get consistent width lines unless your rolling is very accurate.
Lots of 'different shapes' would be very difficult I assume, like making your own puzzle ;)...
You can save a piece of your first 'roll' and use that to compare your next rolls, that way they will be pretty consistent.
Steven

First Name
Carl
Lots of 'different shapes' would be very difficult I assume, like making your own puzzle ;)...
You can save a piece of your first 'roll' and use that to compare your next rolls, that way they will be pretty consistent.
Steven
Yes, I guess if I roll the blue tack with a flat book or something I will get a more consistent sausage, lol. When I roll with my hands I end up with something more eclipse shape.

D

Deleted member 7181

For getting consistent "worms", something just popped into my head that may well fit into the category of "It's not stupid if it works"

When my lad was younger we used to mess for hours with Play Doh. He had an extruder set that could be used to produce identical square or round section lengths. Now I don't know how Play Doh would react with paint, but might be something to look into.

Or you could just point and laugh at the silly suggestion :smiling5::upside:

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
wow ... cool looking camo technique ... not sure i wud be brave enough to try that but found this on the net ... easy when someone else is doing it .....

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Really like that idea Lindsey. Thanks for posting it.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
For getting consistent "worms", something just popped into my head that may well fit into the category of "It's not stupid if it works"

When my lad was younger we used to mess for hours with Play Doh. He had an extruder set that could be used to produce identical square or round section lengths. Now I don't know how Play Doh would react with paint, but might be something to look into.

Or you could just point and laugh at the silly suggestion :smiling5::upside:
The best ideas are always bit left field Andy , it might just work depending on what the play doh has in it , although I remember reading that it has to be non toxic , in case kiddies eat it so there can’t be anything too nasty in it ( their poo would be a sight to see though ,) :smiling5::smiling5: on a ( even) more out there train of thought , how about liquorice laces or cooked spaghetti ?

First Name
Carl
The best ideas are always bit left field Andy , it might just work depending on what the play doh has in it , although I remember reading that it has to be non toxic , in case kiddies eat it so there can’t be anything too nasty in it ( their poo would be a sight to see though ,) :smiling5::smiling5: on a ( even) more out there train of thought , how about liquorice laces or cooked spaghetti ?
The cooked spaghetti did cross my mind but I’m not sure it would stay in place but then I’ve never tried it. I did try rolling blu tack with a metal ruler and was able to get consistent sized sausages so I’m quietly confident that this would work although it will require lots of patience.

First Name
Carl
wow ... cool looking camo technique ... not sure i wud be brave enough to try that but found this on the net ... easy when someone else is doing it .....

That’s an interesting idea. Probably easier just to buy an acrylic paint in the right colour if one can be found . Might be something I have a dabble with.