Heller 1/24 Delage D8 SS

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm waiting for some figures for my U-boat, and the BMW Combo is nearing a finish, so I've decided to have a go at this
heller delage.jpg

It may not be a goer, as the sprue with chrome plating is pretty poor - if I can't get the chrome off & the parts underneath aren't useable this build might finish early!
DSCF1344.JPGDSCF1345.JPGDSCF1342.JPG

The chrome is thick & not smooth, in the top chrome picture, the large piece is the boot lid the only parts of the lid that are chrome are the hinges! I'm going to go old school & use bleach ( in a glass jar - soak overnight ), and see how it pans out!
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Hope you're able to make something of this. These larger scale vintage cars can make nice models.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good luck with the chrome removal Dave. Bleach should work, but who knows ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I've had failures with Fairy Powerspray, but old fashioned bleach may take longer, but generally works in the end! Then again if the plastic detail underneath is poor, there's nothing to be done.....
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Too true Dave, hope it works out though because that’s a cool looking car.....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The Delage D8 was in production for a while, and the bodywork was often custom made. I haven't found any pictures of a D8 SS with wire wheels ( yet ), but I like the colour of this one, as opposed to the bright yellow on the Heller box...................
delage 01.jpgdelage 02.jpg
I'm thinking black lower & rear, with ivory bonnet & partial doors, with a very dark blue hood..............
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After an overnight soak in bleach - partial success
DSCF1346.JPG
Of all the parts - ONE has completely shed its' chrome overcoat, ironically, the one I thought would be most resistant. The others are patchy, so I'll leave them to soak for a day or so, but looking better than I hoped!:thumb2:
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice colour scheme idea Dave, really classy. Alway like these jazz age two toners.....interesting, looking at your real life pictures the wheels are different on each side? Glad the chrome is coming off as well.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Nice colour scheme idea Dave, really classy. Alway like these jazz age two toners.....interesting, looking at your real life pictures the wheels are different on each side? Glad the chrome is coming off as well.
I wondered if it is actually the same car - or the same car at different times - either way the Delage seemed to be pretty much a bespoke car, so variations in the same model could be expected
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Further to the pictures of the actual car, I was puzzled by the strange radiator cap ornament. I realised it was a Lalique glass mascot - these were pressed glass & sold for around $50 in the 30's.
delage d6 lalique.jpg
This is a Delage D6, with what looks like an Indian head mascot

lalique rooster.jpg
Maybe more appropriate for a French car - a Rooster

These Lalique pieces are art forms and collective in their own right
Apparently they can fetch up to $300,000!! :anguished:
lalique nude .jpg
..................and you think some modern car trends are flashy!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There you go Dave.......I knew about Lalique, but I really never knew these hood ornaments existed until I looked....as you say, some are really expensive. Some are more than a little strange as well..

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
After TWO days in bleach ( and I changed the bleach after a day! ) the boot lid still has the chrome in patches....
DSCF1347.JPG
This is the only part that has defeated the bleach - luckily it's flat(tish), so a few minutes work with a sanding sponge finally removed the plating
DSCF1348.JPG

I've had an attack of the lazies, the last few days - just sitting reading, listening to music & binge watching TV series - and I don't feel guilty at all!
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good man....most of early January was like that for me!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Some sprue shots.............
DSCF1352.JPG
Fresh from the bleach bath - still some chrome on the sprues, but not on the parts
DSCF1349.JPGDSCF1350.JPGDSCF1351.JPG
DSCF1353.JPG
The instructions are old fashioned Heller - not very good & confusing in places. It's a simple model - sadly there's no option for hood down.
Dave

First Name
Noel
Cannot understand why Heller made this kit with the rear fenders having a joint right across the top. Weird and should have been unnecessary when you look at the mouldings that could have been done as one instead of three! The joins will be difficult to eradicate unless the modeller is really good with filler and rubbing down before painting.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Cannot understand why Heller made this kit with the rear fenders having a joint right across the top. Weird and should have been unnecessary when you look at the mouldings that could have been done as one instead of three! The joins will be difficult to eradicate unless the modeller is really good with filler and rubbing down before painting.
The Heller moulds date from 1979, so they are a different generation. I think it's fair to say that Heller were never leaders in advanced techniques.
What isn't obvious from the photos is that there is severe warping in the two body halves, so I have to cope with that as well as trying to make a good seam!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Decided I must really make a start on this - the base for my little sub is drying, so here we go.
Engine assembled - not going to add anything it just fills a hole, and gives a positive location to the exhaust pipe!
DSCF1374.JPG

Chassis commenced - the Heller black plastic is soft & doesn't sand well it frays & is rather stringy - not good
old fashioned suspension leaf springs with friction dampers..............
DSCF1372.JPG
The white plastic for the bodywork is a bit harder, so it should be easier to deal with.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chassis completed & primed - put aside for the main event
DSCF1375.JPG
The whole area of concern is the bodywork - it's going to have to be perfect to carry off the two-tone finish.
I think I'm going to have a tussle with this..............................
DSCF1376.JPG
Slight warpage problem - the centreline seams are going to need some careful work - there aren't any location pins, so pieces of plastic card will be added to the rear of the panels. Filler & sanding sponges at the ready!
Dave