Heller 1/72 scale SAAB J21 A

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres my entry for the twin boom GB , the Heller SAAB j21a in 1/72 scale. This interesting little aircraft was saabs first fighter and was first conceived in 1941 . Developed during the next few years , it entered service in early 1946 and was highly regarded, eventually becoming one of only two aircraft types to make the transition from piston to jet power using largely the same airframe (the j21a became the j21r , the other one being the yak3 into the yak 15). The kit is a Heller offering from the 80's and is a lovely bit of moulding. Although it has raised panel lines , i dont mind them at all and the finesse of the moulding is excellent with razor sharp trailing edges , a nice crisp finish and a very reasonable cockpit . The only things i will be adding are some seat belts and ill probably drill out the prominent landing lights in the front of the booms. heres the rather battered box top shot and the sprues, cheers tony

View attachment 54105

View attachment 54106

P1110322 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110323 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

C

Caledonia

Hi Tony, Where do you find these aircraft from, look forward to following your ingenuity during the build. I was very impressed wiht thequality of the old Heller kit I used for my 'Where Eagles Dare' some time ago. Derek

Last edited:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks an interesting one.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers chaps , im not going the whole hog with this one Derek , its going to be pretty much OOB , maybe just seatbelts to add. Its a very finely moulded kit and looks like it should go together with no problems , hopefully i can get some pics of my slow progress tomorrow, cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
bit more progress on the saab today. The cockpit is done , typical 1950's- black everywhere, nothing much added , just a bit of artistic licence on the side consoles and some belts made from tamiya tape. Ive assembled both the 3 part main undercarriage legs ,as these have to be trapped between the two halves of the booms , and glued the fuselage together - not forgetting a fair bit of nose weight!! One other thing ive done is to add some radiators in the wing recesses. The kit didnt supply anything meaning there was a bit of a see through effect , so using Romans tip ,i cut some strips off a packet of Ibuprofen tablets , which will give the effect of a mesh radiator when painted black and dry brushed with gunmetal grey. cheers tony

View attachment 54795

View attachment 54796

View attachment 54797

View attachment 54798

View attachment 54799

View attachment 54800

View attachment 54801

P1110333 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110334 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110340 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110341 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110342 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110344 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110345 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Nice progress Tony,

Really liking the little details you've added,Ive got to try making some seat belts when i come to do some of my aircraft kits :smiling3:

Cheers,Ben

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice office Tony, good start mate.

Tony.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great office Tony.

According to Top Gear, people who drive Saab's have above average intelligence - I don't know where I'm going with this one, I just appeared from my dodgy memory !!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Are you sure it wasnt ' people who BUILD Saabs'? LOL

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cant be people that drive them- I have lost count of the dozy sods in Saab that have carved me up. I also knew a woman that had a 99turbo. And I assure you her IQ was not even close to the mark of her car....

Ian M

First Name
Dave
Can't be the people that build them either.They went out of business because they spent far more money building them than they made in sales.The build is looking good Tony.

T

treyzx10r

Really cool looking bird Tony ,not seen that one modelled before. Looking forward to the next update!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
A bit more done yesterday on the Saab. The bottom wing is on and after dry brushing to highlight the radiators, the top wings followed a while after. The fit was very nice with maybe only a wipe of vallejo putty being required at the joint . The seams on the fuselage have been sanded with the unavoidable loss of a few panel lines. As the surface detail (albeit raised) on this kit is so delicate and fine I think it looks great . so i re-instated the lost sections with thin fishing line carefully attached with superglue , i think it looks ok and should be indistinguishable under a coat of paint. The booms have also been glued and sanded ready for attaching when ive finished fettling the wings. The fit and fine detail of this kit is excellent , the only slight snag ive had is that the plastic is quite soft so wherever ive removed parts from the sprue it has left a little mark that needs a touch of filler (see the white blobs on the fuselage top) apart from that its been a real pleasure to assemble , if you ever see one of these kits and fancy doing something swedish i'd totally recommend it. anyway here are a few update pics , cheers tony

View attachment 55053

View attachment 55054

View attachment 55055

View attachment 55056

View attachment 55057

P1110356 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110357 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110359 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110360 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110363 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The Saab has had the booms and windscreen fitted and a coat of primer to see what needs sorting ,(not much really , its a very neat fitting kit) The re-instated panel lines on the upper fuselage and nose look fine now its primered , quite chuffed about that. The rest of the canopy is going to be fitted after final painting as its quite a tricky 2 part affair (each side includes the rear window , one half is just the side panel, the other half includes the top panel too).Heres the pics , cheers tony

View attachment 55286

View attachment 55287

View attachment 55288

View attachment 55289

P1110376 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110377 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110378 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

P1110379 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

T

treyzx10r

Looking sharp Tony,the panel lines did come out sweet. Good luck with those windows!

First Name
Dave
I'm not a fan of raised panel lines.But what you've done looks really good Tony.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's nice mate, I do like the way you always turn up with summat rarely seen and obscure.

Cheers,

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Its been a bit slow on the modelling front lately due to the shed being cold!! heres the latest on the Saab . Camo on and decalled , ready for all the Knocky off bits. I tried to give the green a bit of variation by spraying a lighter shade in the centre of panels etc but it doesnt really show up , maybe it will when its matt coated and under better light. The decals were great , having good colour density (something often lacking in yellow decals) and settling down onto the panel lines nicely on a bed of wet Klear . Next job , drill out the machine gun barrels , add the central cannon and sort out the landing lights, then its onto the undercarriage and canopy. cheers tony

View attachment 56113

View attachment 56114

View attachment 56115

P1110414 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110415 [Desktop Resolution].jpg

P1110416 [Desktop Resolution].jpg