Hello Again

N

Neill

Hi all and a happy Mayday to all!!!

This is my first post from mid January. I still have'nt completed the 1/72 Tamiya Focke Wulf FW190!! I have made some progress though which in my book is better than nothing.

As always its a few things I would'nt mind checking with you lot as I know someone somewhere on the forum always has the answer. Anyway here goes:

Can I use Asdas own turpentine subsitute to clean brushes and my airbrush after using enamels to save me a few pounds rather than using my Revell thinners?

Does anyone know how to remove hardened Revell Contacta glue off a model?

Does anyone know how to thin Flair Spectrum Paint (Matt Clear)? Also how to clean up after its use ie clean my brushes and airbrush? I am better brushing it on?

Is squadron green putty as toxic as they make out on the label? Do you need a mask when using it?

Thanks in advance for everyones help as always.

First Name
Mike
\ said:
Can I use Asdas own turpentine subsitute to clean brushes and my airbrush after using enamels to save me a few pounds rather than using my Revell thinners?
Hi Neill, I can't answer that definitively since Asda doesn't exist where I live but in the days when I sprayed enamels I used turps-substitute to clean the brush. Also used it for thinning the paint IIRC.

Does anyone know how to remove hardened Revell Contacta glue off a model?
Sanding it off is the only way I can think of to remove hardened plastic cement.

Does anyone know how to thin Flair Spectrum Paint (Matt Clear)? Also how to clean up after its use ie clean my brushes and airbrush? I am better brushing it on?
A quick Google search suggests that Flair Spectrum Paints are designed for flying/RC models and should be thinned with cellulose (lacquer) thinners. I'd test the stuff on an old model before spraying your Tamiya Fw190 :smiling3: 'Hot' finishes like lacquers can affect the underlying paints, but often if they're just misted on in light coats the paint is dry almost as soon as it hits the surface. If you're spraying directly onto plastic you'll probably need to apply a primer first to act as a barrier.

Is squadron green putty as toxic as they make out on the label? Do you need a mask when using it?
I would advise against applying a thick layer of Squadron Green Putty to your upper lip and leaving it there all day. Otherwise, in the small quantities that we use filler, I doubt the fumes are that toxic. However it's always advisable to wear a dust mask when sanding any filler, plastic or resin.

N

Neill

Hi Mike

Thanks for the answers. I had guessed that the only way to remove the glue was sanding. Nail polish remover could be used on certain surfaces but not plastic!!!

I am disappointed about the Flair Spectrum paint. I bought a 125ml tin of it aboout four months ago from a local model shop. I asked the guy behind the counter if its suitable for general use. Its not what I am looking for at all. Its got lead content when all I needed was a general matt clear to seal in all the weathering, paints etc. To say I have been mislead is an understatement. The shrugging of the shoulders at this shop you would not believe when you ask them a question. This Tamiya kit is my first model so my product knowledge when I bought the paint was limited. If theres one thing that annoys me its bad customer service.As you can tell I have previous experience with this particular shop.

First Name
Mike
Sorry to hear about that Neill, that is really annoying. You could always try the Flair varnish on an old model to see if it works, but you'd probably be better off with a dedicated matt varnish intended for plastic models, be it Humbrol, Revell, Xtracrylix, Vallejo etc.