Hello from Mossy Bottom (Italy, really)!

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Hello to everybody.
It is the first time on this site and first time on any site too. I am not even a "social network" user.
I am from Italy, I am in the Army, I prefer rugby to football, Ferrari to Mercedes and beer to wine so it is easy to deduce I am used to suffering :crying:
I've been modelling since I was 8 (still thanking my late Grandpa for my first Airfix bagged Fiat G50) but I took a long break from 1987 to 2016 mainly due to my job. Now that I am well over 50, the mojo reached such a level to overcome some "minor" issues (lack of time, no bench, bad light, an old and fatigued compressor, a voracious carpet monster etc.).
If I'm back to modelling is mainly because of my MilMod site visits (that too a "late") and Shaun the sheep and his flock or, more precisely, their authors: admiring their modelling ability contributed to my return to the fascinating glue and paints world.
I have a lot to learn: new materials, new techniques, the modelling sites and tutorials, new brands...all new to me. The atmosphere I found on this site is very friendly so I decided to step in.
Here are a few pictures of what I have done/am doing. I am testing my skills on scales from 1:144 (the 2 Tigers) to 1:35, plastic or resin (the 1:76 winter Panther), just to try to fill the 30 years long gap.
Forgive my mistakes, both in modelling and written English: I am fully open to advice and constructive critics in both fields.

Andy
(My first name is Andrea, but I would like to avoid communications starting with "madam" as some Int'l staff officer did a decade ago, :smiling6: ... so Andy will just do).

IMG_1786.JPGIMG_1843r.JPGIMG_5248r.JPGIMG_0012r.JPGIMG_5044R.jpgIMG_0622r.JPGIMG_0083r.JPGIMG_3337r.JPGIMG_0769r.JPGType 3 Fiat G50.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4995.JPG
    IMG_4995.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6345.JPG
    IMG_6345.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5048.JPG
    IMG_5048.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 6

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum Andy. One of my favourite bands comes from Italy (Lacuna Coil).

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Welcome to the forum. You have some fine models there. A real variety of subjects and scales.
Jim

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome to the site Andy. I work in '87 scale so have an affinity to your small scale efforts!
I look forward to seeing more of your posts in the future.
Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Welcome Andy, good selection there...thought you might have made the G50 by now though :thumb2:

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Welcome Andy and a nice selection of models you’ve got there.:thumb2:
Neat looking tank crew too.:smiling:

Ps. Another fan of loud Italian bands here (Lacuna Coil and Nanowar of Steel)

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Welcome Andy, some very nice builds there! I always used to enjoy Italy when I travelled a lot for work, especially the food and wine! (Not so much the beer...)
I can sympathise with the "madam" thing - I worked for a long time as a technician in a technical college. One year the college prospectus listed me as a "Mrs"! I think they printed about 10,000 copies, distributed throughout my home town! My 'friends' called me Mrs Pete for years after.

Pete

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Welcome Andy here you will find a very nice bunch of people and you will learn a lot from them..

Benvenuto Andrea... fa piacere un altro Italiano... buona serata.... Greg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy it here and spend a bit of time figuring out what goes where. There is a place for every thing, and I do like every thing in place...
Best thing about my visits to Italy has to been the food. As for Italian cars...... Meh. Unless its a Dino.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
a good looking set of models! - I think you can teach us some techniques.............
Welcome to the forum
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great to see you Andy. Nice work. Welcome to the madhouse

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
A very warm welcome to the forum. You have some nice builds there.

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Thank you all for the warm welcome.
Dave: The first hint I can give is: post small pictures; mistakes won't be so evident! :tongue-out3:). I don't think I've developed any specific technique for the moment; I follow the inspiration of the moment (which translates into: I do what I can with what I have :thinking: ). My only "invention" is what I use to burnish the Friul tracks: a mix of Tamiya acrylic thinner and green tea leaves...:nerd:.
Ian: food is where Italy wins without efforts... as per Italian cars... well... according to Top Gear's J. Clarkson, Alfa and Ferrari are not so bad at all... unless the dubbing changed not only the language but contents too! ;)
Pete: Italian beer is getting better and better, but you have to look for local breweries.
Greg: good to know there's another Italian in the bunch (....maybe I should have said flock :rolling:).
Alan G. and Fernando: I'm more on the classical side as per music preferences, but I still love Joy Division and Bauhaus when I want to turn on the "dark side".
Tim: the picture I downloaded from Internet as souvenir of my first kit ; the G50 kit was built in a few minutes; then, building my second kit, a FROG Saab 29 if my memory is not failing me, I discovered that there were the instructions too! :flushed: A giant leap for this modeler!

Currently I am in a "stand by" phase due to some radical changes involving my family as we are planning to move in a new house so... "no go" time for the near future.
I will follow the forums anyway, trying to learn and get inspiration from you all.

Andy