Hello, need advice

E

EJD

This is my first model. It's a 3d print. I'm going for 'new off the shelf' look but there's something missing and I have no idea what it is. Any advice on how to proceed would be great. Thank you.

Attachments

• 20200626_171130.jpg
    20200626_171130.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200626_171118.jpg
    20200626_171118.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 43

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Firstly hello and welcome EJ.

What model is it?

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Unit or Purpose identifiers? PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi EJ. Welcome to the forum.
You may be going for a new off the shelf Look, but to bring this model to life you need to emphasise shapes and textures a little. At Small scale ambient light is not bright enough to replicate the shadows and highlights you see on the real thing. Look up pin washes and dry brushing on YouTube as a start. Techniques like that will bring the model to life. Once you’ve watched a bit of YouTube you’ll doubtless have other questions so please Feel free to ask again.

E

EJD

Hi EJ. Welcome to the forum.
You may be going for a new off the shelf Look, but to bring this model to life you need to emphasise shapes and textures a little. At Small scale ambient light is not bright enough to replicate the shadows and highlights you see on the real thing. Look up pin washes and dry brushing on YouTube as a start. Techniques like that will bring the model to life. Once you’ve watched a bit of YouTube you’ll doubtless have other questions so please Feel free to ask again.
Ok, will do. Thank you.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It's just a download from a guy that makes generic sci fi models for table top gaming.

Looks really good. Where can we get them from?

Edit: Should have checked the link!!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome EJ, not my kind of thing but the guys have given you some great pointers. If I knew the terrain this guy runs on I could give advice. If it were Mars then red dust coating the wheels and body would look great. Body camo would be rustic with dark brown and red earth perhaps in Pea dot or Digital patterns.

Cheers,
Richard

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
If you wanted to get futuristic & fancy with the paintwork, how about Kryptek camo?

s-l400.jpg
auTdflc.jpg

D

Deleted member 7181

^ That looks like the old custom paint effect where you'd blow through a lace curtain :smiling5:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Kryptek is so cool. I have a UK spec M1911 pistol (.22 cal, long barrel) which I woudl like to re-paint in this scheme, jsut need to find some Duracoat in small quantities.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
As you wish..............but it won't shoot any better! :tongue-out3: Rick H.