Hello!

First Name
Joel
Hello all,

Been reading here for a short period and thought I'd might as well give in and sign up.

I dabbled in models as a kid but never carried on with it, until recently. My 8yo son mentioned he wanted to give it a go, I of course, threw him in the car and we went to our nearest model shop and bought various expensive things that we really didn't need and a few cheap starter kits (that were meant to have everything we needed) to get started. He chose an F16, and bought red arrow/spitfire set from Airfix. Not the best kits, the paints were near to useless, but all that meant was ANOTHER trip to our local shop to buy some more ESSENTIAL (if my wife asks) items.

We had a great time and he has a new one to get started and I'll be starting my next one shortly. Here to learn, bother you all with silly questions and hopefully show you some progress along the way. Images of the Red Arrow, Spitfire and F16 below!

Red Arrow was first, struggled a bit with paint thickness and wobbly hands at the decal stage, but think I got better at it by the time I got to the spitfire. Attempted a bit of weathering on the spitfire too and was quite happy with the results, all brushpainted, using Tamiya paints. His F16 turned out great, he learnt a huge amount, mainly that patience is something he is lacking but he's got the bug enough to get onto another one which is the main thing.

Now, to get started on my C-47 Skytrain.

IMG_0867.jpeg

J

IMG_0964.jpegIMG_0977.jpegIMG_0980.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Joel
Welcome to a very friendly forum. Ask any questions you have and I guarantee you'll only get polite, helpful answers. There is such a lot of talent amongst the forum members that someone is bound to know the answer. Nice looking models.
Jim

First Name
Joel
Probably made blatant mistakes that will have the pro's here snapping sprues in a fit of rage.

Also, that antenna... Must have broken it at least 10 times on the Spitfire.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great stuff Joel. Welcome to the forum.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Probably made blatant mistakes that will have the pro's here snapping sprues in a fit of rage.

Also, that antenna... Must have broken it at least 10 times on the Spitfire.
You do know that a professional model maker is just someone that has conned others to pay for his/her mistakes, right ;)
Don’t ever forget rule one …..have fun!

First Name
Joel
Hahah, so all I need to do is go back to the model shop and buy the pre-built ones...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Joel....nice results on both....looking forward to seeing how you do on the Skytrain.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Joel,
welcome to the forum - those two turned out well ! And you've learned NOT to put on aerials & other delicate bits until the end! We've all been there, done that ( including some real howlers ). You'll see that the forum covers all sorts of models, so dive on in!
Dave

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Welcome to the forum. I've only been on here a few months and am loving it.

It's a great ace to watch, listen, ask and learn.

I've also just built an Airfix Spitfire and broke the antenna a good few times too.

First Name
Joel
No idea haha!
The red arrow isn't great up close but thats down to it being to thickly applied.
The Spitfire I just decided less but more is the way to go. So I thinned it using water, roughly 50/50 I think. (I was mixing it using a calpol medicine syringe so accuracy was not key :tears-of-joy:) And just kept applying layers. So the dark grey I did first and probably did at least 6-7 coats, then I painted in the camo green and again probably did 5/6 layers. Primed with a grey coat underneath as well. The underneath was about 7-8 layers of a light grey. Then I just drybrushed some black in places I thought would be dirty, and a bit of silver on the exhausts.

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome. Your first two have come out well!
John.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
They both look really good, especially for your first after a long break. As Gern said, you've done very well with the brush painting, you seem to have found that the secret is to use several thin coats.
Pete

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Joel

Welcome aboard!!!

An almost identical story to me.... Except my son was six at the time (he's 14 now) and we primarily dabble in armour as pair, although I am also doing planes now too!!

Love your initial builds!

All the best.

Andrew

First Name
Joel
Ah that link isn't working, and just realised I have no edit function! Let's try this link.

First Name
Joel
Joel

Welcome aboard!!!

An almost identical story to me.... Except my son was six at the time (he's 14 now) and we primarily dabble in armour as pair, although I am also doing planes now too!!

Love your initial builds!

All the best.

Andrew
I've been eyeing up some armour, and can't decide what to do as a first build. They seem to be a bit pricier than the planes so want to make sure I get a good kit!