Help! I am planning a new project and am a bit stuck ...

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi

i'm am finally getting some more bench time and will (hopefully) be finishing the lagest WW1 dio in the next week or so, hopefully painting the next figure tomorrow. While doing this I am thinking about the next project. i'll keep you guessing about what it is, it will be another diorama and involve more chopping up of a kit.

this time I would like to add some juttery rocking movement to it and flashing lights, to represent nearby explosions.

my initial thought is to use an old servo connected to a rod to turn the rotating motion to a reciprocating motion to get the rocking effect, and perhaps flashing led lights

the problem I have is that this sort of set-up would produce, even with gearing, a regular motion, what I would like is more of an irregular, intermittent timing but with the rocking and flashing syncronised together.

all ideas welcome.

Peter

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Sounds like a job for cams and micro switches to me, but without knowing what else is required I can’t help further. Chris (boatman) may be worth a shout because he has a wealth of experience with moving parts.....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I vaguely remember someone doing this many years ago. He used a loudspeaker with the cone removed as an actuator, and drove it via an amplifier from a radio. I can't remember how well it worked.
Pete

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Is the plan to synchronize the two? Irregular cut cams can emulate asynchronous shaking & lighting. I've seen backlit irregular cut light foil being blown about w/mini-fan emulating random flashes. PaulE

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
the problem I have is that this sort of set-up would produce, even with gearing, a regular motion, what I would like is more of an irregular, intermittent timing but with the rocking and flashing syncronised together
(PETER QUOTE)

Well hi Peter id like to help you on this but a bit too complex for me as it would involve a timer an a motor with a piston drive to get the rocking motion an RED FLASINSHIN LEDS so you may be better off contackin the components shop they are on the web an tell them what you want to do an they can then advise you as to what you will need
chris

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi Guys

thanks for the ideas. Cam seems a good option as is contacting a components shop. Fortunately I think I will be able to start the modelling before having to work on this aspect of the dio.

Peter

D

Deleted member 5496

Great idea & spectacular Peter. I produced a film using pictures of the Falklands conflict. Using flashes of video light I produced the effect you are after.

I would get in touch with some one who is into marketing LED. Mentioned about a week ago or so a women/lady runs a lighting set up for scale modelling. She gave me great help with LED. See if I can locate her.

One thing that I found with my video film was to ensure the audio was behind the flashes, which is correct, & gives a very authentic feel. Noted that there are bangs followed with cracking noises. Also found not to totally oblitereate the whole scene with flashes. In the film I had the flashes partially in the background plus the flashes are minute in length with an after glo. Whereas the audio erupts & goes on with occasional quick flashes of light but of less intensity to the original.

Got your work cut out Peter just love to see the result.

Laurie

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter

If you want to have unlimited possibilities then Arduino or similar may be the answer. With this driving a servo you could generate random movement and also control sound and lights if you wanted.

John

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Peter

If you want to have unlimited possibilities then Arduino or similar may be the answer. With this driving a servo you could generate random movement and also control sound and lights if you wanted.

John
Hi Peter, I was about to mention John Ballard and his post on the Arduino above. Depends on your budget.

Cheers,
Richard

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi Peter

Arduino can cope with multiple servos or stepper motors - combining two steppers could help with creating random movement in two different directions. You'd have to consider the "scale effect" as movement that is too rapid would look unrealistic and could shake parts of the model over time.

Mark

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi guys

thanks for the suggestions. i am sure the Arduino would be perfect, but i am not sure whether I want to spend the time learning how to use one. I found this on the WWW which I think solves the irregular flashing lights: Here

in terms of the timing of the bumps, I'm thinking about 1 every 2 or 3 secoonds. I think I start playing about with some old motors and gear set I have from my radio control days.

of course, I have the little matter of actually building the model first!!

Peter

D

Deleted member 5496

Hi guys

thanks for the suggestions. i am sure the Arduino would be perfect, but i am not sure whether I want to spend the time learning how to use one. I found this on the WWW which I think solves the irregular flashing lights: Here

in terms of the timing of the bumps, I'm thinking about 1 every 2 or 3 secoonds. I think I start playing about with some old motors and gear set I have from my radio control days.

of course, I have the little matter of actually building the model first!!

Peter
I would go for iregular bumps Peter.

When I made my film I had explosion followed quickly by another then a little interval then more in sucession. With the flashes before each explosion. Makes it more spectacular.

Laurie