Help! I've broken the #*^## leg off.

K

Keithmayes

I have just finished gloss painting the lunar lander (Apollo Saturn V 1:144) and given it a coat of gloss varnish prior to placing the decals. I noticed the leg hinges were looking a little sticky so I gently moved them on their hinges, then disaster struck. One of the legs snapped off, they are very fragile apparently. Apart from trying super glue, not too sure about that working, I do not know the best way forward. Any help and suggestions gratefully received. If not I shall pull the covers over my head and sob myself to sleep tonight.

View attachment 100947

image.jpg

P

phalinmegob

superglue will do the trick but use it sparingly or you will make a right mess.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
superglue will do the trick but use it sparingly or you will make a right mess.
I shall do that but I do have have mixed results with it, sometimes it goes together perfectly first time, other times it just won't stick. Can't think of any other way of fixing though so will just have to hope it works. Thanks for your advice.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Generally, when superglue doesn't stick it's because you've put too much on. For this you'll only need a tiny smear across the join. Use the tip of a cocktail stick rather than try to get just a drop from the container.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Generally, when superglue doesn't stick it's because you've put too much on. For this you'll only need a tiny smear across the join. Use the tip of a cocktail stick rather than try to get just a drop from the container.
Thanks for the tip Dave.

D

dubster72

If you have a micro drill set, you could try drilling out a hole for some thin wire.

It won't add much to the strength of the joint itself, but by making extra area for the glue, it will provide a better hold.

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
If you have a micro drill set, you could try drilling out a hole for some thin wire.
It won't add much to the strength of the joint itself, but by making extra area for the glue, it will provide a better hold.
I am only just starting out from scratch so do not have anything more sophisticated than a sheet of wet & dry. Will have to stick with superglue. (groan).

First Name
Aaron
Sanding both connection points down to plastic with help with a better join then repaint when the glue is set. I wouldn't just glue painted surface to painted surface.

L

Laurie

Not a disaster Keith it is going to happen all the time.

On the 1/48 Landrover they have made the dashboard with two beautiful wing mirrors. They were going to be broken off or bent. So I nipped them off to superglue back near completion.

On yours it is difficult to know the exact problem as there is nothing to scale it against. On these things good idea to photo with a coin etc.

Provided it is not going to be messed about with I would just glue it with superglue. If you have more work to do surrounding this piece I would leave glueing back until the latest moment practical.

What I have done with things like this is to use , as Dave has advised, just a smear.. Then you can get a Loctite superglue with a brush. I have given the piece just a very thin coating up and down the leg. Just gives that extra bit of strength.

Tried about 6 types of Superglue. The best I have found is Locktite. They do a Superfast and it is best I have found. Gives just the right time to get the stuff into position and then it is off. Also found if you want the Superglue really fast decant a small amount into a plastic container. leave say 10 minuts then use. It goes off like a rocket. used it on the Walrus rigging which was a god send with 40 odd glue points.

They also do a Gel which is thicker and takes a little longer to go off. Noted that recently WHICH did test on a number of Superglues and Loctite came out top of the list.

Laurie

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Superglue, locktite is good as Laurie the oldster points out.

Si:smiling3:

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Superglue, locktite is good as Laurie the oldster points out.
Si:smiling3:
Thanks guys, Locktite superglue it is, just happen to have a tube in the shed. Now, if I could just think where I saw it last....

K

Keithmayes

\ said:
Also found if you want the Superglue really fast decant a small amount into a plastic container. leave say 10 minuts then use. It goes off like a rocket. used it on the Walrus rigging which was a god send with 40 odd glue points. Laurie
Thanks for the tip Laurie, sounds like a great way to do it. Cheers, Keith.

L

Laurie

\ said:
:smiling3: ;) :sad: :mad::confused::cool: :P :D :eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O

Well Si it had everything so I gave it most but there is not enough there. I burst out laughing.

Laurie