Help needed for a total new beginner.

First Name
Andrzej
Hello,
Simple Tutorial for newbie about modeling scale aircraft. Where to find something outlining just major steps?
The title pretty much describes what I am looking for.

I am a total newbie here.
I looked on Internet and got a headache. :tears-of-joy:
There is so much info there and so detailed.

I just want to get familiar with what steps do I take to build scale model airplane, take out from sprue, sand and then I stop...

When do I fill the gaps, sand and use primer?
Do I use primer at all?

I know there are few basic steps as far as painting, weathering and washing.
But it what order?

I realize that these are trivial questions and majority will laugh at me for asking but I just want to learn slowly. :smiling5:

Do you know any resources for that?
I mean just simple steps, without going too much into details, I can work out details later by asking and looking for detailed info.

Thank you very much and greetings from New Jersey! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Andrzej.
No one on here will laugh at you. We leave that nonsense to 'other' forums.
You will get varying answers to your questions, as we all eventually adopt our own styles and preferences for the stuff used to get what the 'Individual' wants from this hobby.

Don't be envious or put off when viewing finished models. We were all beginners at some point. Your models will stand side by side with them in due course.

Don't bother with the internet just yet, just ask your questions here.

I'm away for a few days, but I'm sure the lads on here will be only too happy to give loads of (Hopefully) basic advise to start with. More advanced methods etc. should come later.

Steady as you go and take your time. Don't run before you can walk.

Keep in mind this model making should be fun. Keep it that way.... ;)

Ron

First Name
Andrzej
Don't run before you can walk.

Keep in mind this model making should be fun. Keep it that way....
Hi Ron.
Thank you for a great reply. That is all I want, easy and forward, no rush, nice talk, showing progress and mistakes.
Yes, definitely walk before run and yes, definitely it has to be fun or there is no point of doing it. ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fully endorse Ron’s comments above Andrzej. If I can help in any way I will, and I know there are plenty of others that will do likewise.

The first thing to address is “what do you want to build”. I personally don’t buy into the “starter” or “test” model idea you sometimes see bandied about. If you build something you really want you will identify more closely with it and try that much harder. So…first off…..pick your subject…….

The second is, “how big do you want that subject to be”. Most of us would like a string of 1/32 aircraft on our shelves, but they are quite big…..so need a fair bit of storage…and they are also quite expensive so take a significant amount of spare cash out of your wallet ;)

Once you’ve done that, look around to see who makes what. Don’t buy straight away though, seek advice. As a beginner I would avoid some of the ancient kits that are still available, and the someone on here will know how suitable (or otherwise) your potential kit is. After all, something that at least fits together and is well engineered will allow you to learn the basics of assembly and preparation without resorting to some of the more advanced swear words :smiling5:

Once you have your kit the most important step is next…..set up a thread on here and post your progress as you build. No one will judge you, but you will receive a huge amount of support and encouragement which will help you through the difficult bits. Ask plenty of questions as and when you need to. The build thread will be the right place to ask things, and the replies will be pertinent to your build. This approach also has the advantage of keeping all your questions in one place if you want to refer back to them later on….

Last thing….strap on your seat belt, it’s going to be a bumpy ride….but I promise you will really enjoy it. Don’t worry if something doesn’t go right, no one dies as a result. It’s only plastic and paint, and sometimes you can learn much more from your failures than you can from your successes…..

Cheers
Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrzej
Ron is right. Take it step by step and don't rush. Your first models will have mistakes but you will learn from those mistakes and gradually you'll build up your own set of skills and methods which suit you.
This is what I do
1 Check the box contents. Make sure everything is there and undamaged.
2 Read the instructions from start to finish. Anything which looks awkward, unclear etc highlight on the instructions.
3 Start - usually on aeroplanes this is the cockpit. Cut the parts from the sprue, clean up and DRY FIT before thinking of glue.
4 Work your way steadily and slowly through the stages. Keep asking yourself questions like "If I fit this part can I paint it or should I paint it first?" Just think it through.
5 Usually the completed and painted cockpit is sandwiched between the two fuselage halves. Take real care at this stage to ensure you get the best join possible.
6 Wings. The wing roots can often take a lot of fettling to get a decent fit.
7 Undercarriages are fragile so think about how to work without breaking them. Often they can be left off until later.
8 Mask and fit the clear canopy.
9 Fill any gaps that you think will show badly. Remember that if you fill you'll almost certainly have to sand back and that can spoil detail around the sanded area.
10 I always use a primer. The primer will show any areas that may need further filling or sanding. You can very lightly sand primer when fully cured if there are any rough areas.
11 Top coat. Light coats. You may have to mask to paint camo or two colour paint jobs. Use proper model masking tape and let the first colour dry completely. Take time with masking, make sure the edges are down.
12 Carefully remove masking and hopefully little touch up will be needed.
13 Put on the decals

Now you can go further with panel line enhancement, washes, chipping, exhaust stains and on and on and on .....

Personally I would concentrate at this stage on getting a well put together model which is decently painted.
Ron and Tim are so right with their advice.
Once you have your kit the most important step is next…..set up a thread on here and post your progress as you build. No one will judge you, but you will receive a huge amount of support and encouragement which will help you through the difficult bits. Ask plenty of questions as and when you need to. The build thread will be the right place to ask things, and the replies will be pertinent to your build. This approach also has the advantage of keeping all your questions in one place if you want to refer back to them later on….
Yes. Go for it, be brave. You will only get polite helpful advice.

Above all HAVE FUN - it's only a hobby. As Tim said mistakes ain't gonna kill you.

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I have just looked at a post about washing sprues to get rid of release agent on the plastic. I am sure I'm gonna open a real can of worms but I have never washed sprues before starting and have never had problems. I know many do wash but ........ !! :rolling:

Another thought is that when building a model the parts are handled a lot and even clean hands can leave greasy deposits so the model could need washing when built, before painting. If I feel a clean is necessary I like to use lighter fluid. Pour out a little into a dish, brush all over the model, avoid masking tape. It evaporates almost immediately and does no harm to plastic, resin, glue, filler etc - at least none that I have come across. It's a very good degreaser.

Last edited:
First Name
Andrzej
Fully endorse Ron’s comments above Andrzej. If I can help in any way I will, and I know there are plenty of others that will do likewise.

The first thing to address is “what do you want to build”. I personally don’t buy into the “starter” or “test” model idea you sometimes see bandied about. If you build something you really want you will identify more closely with it and try that much harder. So…first off…..pick your subject…….

The second is, “how big do you want that subject to be”. Most of us would like a string of 1/32 aircraft on our shelves, but they are quite big…..so need a fair bit of storage…and they are also quite expensive so take a significant amount of spare cash out of your wallet ;)

Once you’ve done that, look around to see who makes what. Don’t buy straight away though, seek advice. As a beginner I would avoid some of the ancient kits that are still available, and the someone on here will know how suitable (or otherwise) your potential kit is. After all, something that at least fits together and is well engineered will allow you to learn the basics of assembly and preparation without resorting to some of the more advanced swear words :smiling5:

Last thing….strap on your seat belt, it’s going to be a bumpy ride….but I promise you will really enjoy it. Don’t worry if something doesn’t go right, no one dies as a result. It’s only plastic and paint, and sometimes you can learn much more from your failures than you can from your successes…..

Cheers
Tim
Hi Tim,

Thank you for a great reply and advise.

Well, the kit is already bought, and I already started the thread about the Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker B Trumpeter Scale 1:32

I like the idea of asking questions at least related to the kit in the above linked thread. All info in one bag. ;)

About bumpy ride, yes, I hear you, I already messed up some things but that is OK, I will explain the Su-27 B thread. Learning from the failures sure is a part of the process. If I started it over I already know few things I would do differently.

Thak you again for taking time and replying! :smiling:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Tim,

Thank you for a great reply and advise.

Well, the kit is already bought, and I already started the thread about the Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker B Trumpeter Scale 1:32

I like the idea of asking questions at least related to the kit in the above linked thread. All info in one bag. ;)

About bumpy ride, yes, I hear you, I already messed up some things but that is OK, I will explain the Su-27 B thread. Learning from the failures sure is a part of the process. If I started it over I already know few things I would do differently.

Thak you again for taking time and replying! :smiling:
Well…..point one always trumps point two…..build what you want to build…..glad I could help, by the way…..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yes, you will make mistakes!

'He who claims to have never made mistakes has never made anything'

Just learn from them and move on to the next project.

Here endeth the lesson. No foreign coins in the collection box please.

Thank you.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andrzej,
Not much more I could add - BUT, if you are in any doubt about a step, whether assembly or painting, don't do it!
Do a bit of research - or better still ask on the forum, there will be someone who can give helpful advice, before committing a faux-pas!
Will follow your blog!
Dave

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
There's a lot of great advice already posted. I would add, maybe think about a couple of really cheap models you would be happy to put in the bin. And just go for it. Do your best.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Another good place to start is looking in the different sections of the forum. We have many beginners and many questions asked and answered.
Some wash the parts before they build. Some wash the build before they paint, some don't bother at all.
A good tactic for a newcomer to the hobby is to start a build thread and ask questions in that thread as the problems arise. Eventually you'll have a catalogue of hints, tips and help all in one place.

First Name
Andrzej
I will answer to all-in-one post to save room. ;)

@Jim R: I love the steps you described; I wish I knew before I started.
Actually, I copied them to my SU-27 notes, I know it will become a second nature as a time goes by but for now, I just have a reference.
Noted about washing parts.

@spanner570 I am ready for mistakes but help of you guys here, I will definitely make less. :tongue-out3:

@Dave Ward Great advise and now I do have a place to ask. :cool:

@colin m believe it or not, I WAS thinking about it but I gave up an idea, I can do test for airbrush for example on the inside of the parts first and gluing, sanding etc. test on sprue scraps.
It does not mean that when I go to BIG steps, like joining fuselage pieces together or sanding the exterior big surfaces, I will not be nervous. :worried:

@Ian M that is also a great tip about looking around for answers. Will do. Thread already started btw. SU-27 B 1/32 Trumpeter Build

First Name
Andrzej
10 I always use a primer. The primer will show any areas that may need further filling or sanding. You can very lightly sand primer when fully cured if there are any rough areas.
I posted about sanding before airbrushing the primer and most likely I will get some responses but what are your preferences? :smiling:
Thank you!!!!

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Andrzej

I'm new to all of this two and am now on my second aircraft since joining this forum in January.

The comments above are very good but in addition to those I would take the model process one step at time, ask loads of questions on this forum and also ask for feedback. Everyone here has been so helpful and kind to me.

In addition I would search through the various model threads which people have written when constructing their model. Some are more detailed than others and everyone has a different style but I have found this very useful.

Also start your own blog for a build.

First Name
Andrzej
Andrzej

I'm new to all of this two and am now on my second aircraft since joining this forum in January.

The comments above are very good but in addition to those I would take the model process one step at time, ask loads of questions on this forum and also ask for feedback. Everyone here has been so helpful and kind to me.

In addition I would search through the various model threads which people have written when constructing their model. Some are more detailed than others and everyone has a different style but I have found this very useful.

Also start your own blog for a build.
Yes, thank you for the advice, I will look at threads and I know I will also ask.
Yes, everybody so far for very nice and helpful.
The blog already started. ;) SU-27 B 1/32 Trumpeter Blog

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
There's no such thing as a stupid question especially on this forum.

Everything, and i mean everything, I've ever needed to know re modelling has been answered here.

Give it a few weeks and you'll see what I mean!

Del

First Name
Andrzej
There's no such thing as a stupid question especially on this forum.

Everything, and i mean everything, I've ever needed to know re modelling has been answered here.

Give it a few weeks and you'll see what I mean!

Del
I agree with you but being a total newbie, it is a bit embarrassing to ask very basic questions, even when people know you are new. ;)

Yes, so far whatever I asked, I got answers for. I hope it stays that way.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I know naff all about aircraft modelling, not my thing...however, this forum has been one of the longest standing for members which says something. We all have various abilities, skill sets, and genres and there is a lot of crossover in how to do things or achieve a look.

Do not be afraid of slapping up your work Andrzej. Nobody on here will diss your work, you want advice they give it, you want severe critic, they will give it. But, build for you, if you are happy with it then that is all that counts.