Help needed I stressed and made a mess

L

Levi van den Berg

So a cat hair landed on my wet paint of my 1/350 uss enterprise refit saucer
And I stressed so things went downhill from there
So I have to remove the Vallejo primer and automotive paint.
So does anyone know how to do this without harming the plastic because a replacement part is really expensive

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I believe many use fairy power spray

I. E.

L

Levi van den Berg

Unfortunately that isn't available in my country the same goes for simple green and purple power

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Do you have Dettol antiseptic there?
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Apparently not, but might depend on what fluid and what plastic. Do you have a piece of the sprue you could make a test with?

Pete

L

Levi van den Berg

Yeah I am running tests with oven cleaner now I will try brake fluid tommorow

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Mr. Muscle oven cleaner (which definitely is available in the Netherlands :smiling3:) works well, is my experience. You want the kind in a spraying can, that comes out as a white foam.

Last edited:
Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Levi.
Might be a good idea to wear eye protection and a mask, I seem to remember oven cleaner being very strong .
John .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Rubber gloves would be my advice. Take care which way the nozzle of the can is pointing, don’t rub your face or your eyes when you’re working with this stuff, and wash the gloves and your hands when you’re done. Work outside or in a well-ventilated area (a kitchen sink near an extractor hood, for example).

The way I normally used it (for stripping wargames figures) was to put a layer of the foam in a plastic container, put the parts in, and spray more of the oven cleaner over it. Then seal the container, let it stand for a day or overnight, and then scrub the parts in the sink (put a layer of water in there) using an old toothbrush. Again, see above for safety precautions.

R

Ranwulf

I have done the brake fluid method. I used DOT 3 without any problems with the plastic. It will leave a finish that is somewhat rough or grainy so sanding and polishing involved.

Removed automotive paint and model enamel. Not a perfect job of it but it worked to remove 95% of the paint and didn't turn the plastic into a puddle.