help needed on my first purchase guys

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, must agree with Dave, emodels are good, but in my opinion Scale Model Shop are second to none. The stock they have available is simply incredible with fantastic service. Buy brushes and paints as needed after you try a few otherwise it gets expensive to start with. I like Tamiya and Vallejo paints with zero for in my case car model bodies s they seem to match the origional official makers colours, as for brushes tried a few and I prefer the ones by Abteilung 502 plus I have a friend who does alot of painting with watercolor and also oils so I inherit these once he decides to replace them, Winsor and Newton, i believe these are quality brushes and get used for all jobs i need to do.

W

windymiller

i will say i ordered from e models recently and had to wait too long for delivery in todays world !!!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
so looking at the instructions they detail six colours ?? dark green, light blue, burned iron, tyre black, light green and grey
Is this including the camouflage finish or just for detail painting? If the instructions list real-world or model paint numbers, that would certainly help — just “dark green”, “grey”, etc. are too vague to get paints for, if you want to be remotely accurate in your colours.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hobbyboss Me262 kits normally have their colour call-outs from Mr.Hobby/Vallejo/MM/Tamiya/Humbrol numbers. They also state the RLM numbers needed. So conversion across is easy using the numerous conversion websites out there

Here is pics of the HB 262 kit i have (and selling lol)
IMG_1222.JPGIMG_1223.JPG

W

windymiller

there four rlm colours plus burned iron for the engine and tyre black by the look of it

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Alan. If you want then put the RLM numbers you need in here and i'm sure we can convert them for you

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yep. It was in the for sale section just like my other kits lol

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hobbyboss Me262 kits normally have their colour call-outs from Mr.Hobby/Vallejo/MM/Tamiya/Humbrol numbers.
They are very good in this respect. Most other manufacturers quote their own numbers, if they have a paint line (obviously), and if not, usually mention just one paint brand — and Hobby Boss then goes one better still by reminding you that you can also use paint from yet other manufacturers than the five they’ve already shown and include the real-world numbers/designations.

They also state the RLM numbers needed. So conversion across is easy using the numerous conversion websites out there
Or just by buying bottles/tins/pots of paint that have these numbers on them :smiling3: (Though if you want accuracy, you’ll still need to do research to determine if what any manufacturer calls, say, RLM 81 will actually pass for it or be an entirely different colour altogether. This because they rarely agree exactly with each other: buy American olive drab from five different manufacturers and you’ll have five different shades — if you’re lucky.)

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
@Jakko To be fair it is quite well known that Hannants Xtracrylix/Xtracolour range is just about the best RLM paints on the go. Which is great if you can get them to spray correctly lol (never tried the Xtracolour enamels though). I am getting there with them and have virtually the full RLM set. They certainly are good colours.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
To be fair it is quite well known that Hannants Xtracrylix/Xtracolour range is just about the best RLM paints on the go.
Among people who build a lot of WWII Luftwaffe models, probably — I didn’t, and in fact didn’t even know they made acrylics nowadays :smiling3:

Which is great if you can get them to spray correctly lol
That doesn’t sound too encouraging …

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That doesn’t sound too encouraging …

To be fair most of the problem is down to me. But they are not like Tamiya or Vallejo where you can just pour and spray. But for true colours they are fantastic. So taking yourtie and thinning correctly will give you great results

W

windymiller

so im gona go with the ammo set of late Luftwaffe colours, i have brushes on order, is there any paints or owt else etc id potentially need which wouldnt necessarily be shown on the colour chart ie for extra detail or weathering etc ?? (just looking to make an order up to minimise postage) guess im thinking also along the lines of decal solution and laquer ?? ta guys

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can never go wrong with some basic colours: black, white, red, blue, green, yellow, medium grey, medium brown, and a light metallic (silver or aluminium). There are often little bits to paint in colours like these, or ones you can mix from them (black + brown = dark brown, for example) so just having them at hand will probably prove useful at some point.