Help needed on painting sequence

A

AlanRead

Hi, all.
I'm new to both the forum and modeling and need some help/advice.
I am building 1/35 scale tanks and using Tamiya matt acrylics by airbrush.
I have used Tamiya matt clear acrylic over this and then tried to apply decals and washes and obviously failed. (a lot of tide marks from the wash and paint loss from the decal solution)
Do I need to use a gloss clear first for decals and washes, then a final matt coat to dull everything?
Also, I'm confused at the difference between the Tamiya matt/semi/gloss clear acrylic paint and the lacquers. Which is best?
Any help would save me a lot of learning time and re-painting.

Thanks in advance.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your time here.
I am no expert but I paint with matt paint, gloss with an acrylic varnish, decal and pin wash and finish with a matt coat. There are many other possible processes but generally decals need a gloss surface to prevent silvering and washes flow better on a gloss coat, they tend to stain on a matt coat. I also find oil or enamel washes easier to control than water based ones.
Jim

First Name
colin
Hi Alan after you have applied your paint coats you need to apply a couple of thin coats of gloss varnish before applying your decals.after it's all dried seal with gloss varnish then apply your washes finally seal with Matt.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Alan,
Welcome to the forum. I do it the same way as Colin, with the exception of I use Johnsons clear floor polish for the gloss coat.

A

AlanRead

Thanks, guys.
From the replies, Am I correct in thinking the Tamiya XF-86matt, X-35semi and X-22 gloss acrylics are not a varnish?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Alan
They are varnishes so should work as described above by Scottie, Colin, and Jim. Just give them overnight to dry before moving on to the next stage.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Hi 'alan

Welcome to the forum - a great place for advice. It is a while since /i did a vegicle, but when I did, I used Johnson's floor polish like Scottie

Peter

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
When using Tamiya decals, I’ve never, in about 30+ years, found they needed a gloss coat to adhere properly, or to prevent silvering.

A

AlanRead

Thanks for all the info, I'll post a pic if I get good results. Will also be rummaging in the kitchen cupboards for polish!

R

Robo

Just as a point of interest, Tamiya x21 and x22 are not classed as varnishes, x22 is designed to be mixed with matt colours to make them glossy and x21 to be mixed with glossy colours to make them matt. Having said that I myself have used x22 for a glossy finish but found it takes several coats to cover and takes a long while to harden, I now use floor polish for a glossy finish which you can brush on without leaving any brush marks as it is self levelling.