Help needed with putty

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi guys. I'm working on a build which needs a lot of putty work. This is for fairing in mismatched parts rather than filling seams and gaps. I have Milliput Superfine White which does the job rather well.

Problem is, some of the joints are fragile and the pressure I'm having to use to smooth and shape it is breaking the joins. Is there anything I can use to 'dilute' the putty making it softer and easier to work or can anyone recommend an alternative?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I used to use Milliput exclusively, but I always found I mixed too much, and it went off in the packet, wasting a lot of quite expensive stuff. I now use Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty for general use - it's water based, and you cam mix it to a fine slurry. If I need something with a bit more substance, I use Revell Plasto.
With any putty, it's better to apply thin layers, rather than one big dollop, and allow to thoroughly dry before applying the next layer. If it's a real big gap/mismatch I fill as much as possible with plastic off cuts/strips/card before the putty.
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Agree with Dave on this one. Perfect Plastic Putty is very useful indeed.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You can thin Revell Plasto (and probably many other modelling fillers) with liquid cement, cellulose thinner or similar solvents. If you can use it to glue plastic, it probably works to thin putty from a tube — and it’s quick and easy to try :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 5496

Mr Hobby range.

Mr White Putty the thickest & is very strong yet easily to manage.

Mr White putty R same as above but not as thick.

Mr Surfacer 500 for filling smaller areas be prepared for a second dose.
Great filler as it is about the same consistncy of plastic stick like no other
(as all the above). Sand then wet & dry using lots of water

It will sand own to nothing &will not flake away. Properly done it will
not be visible after painting.

For fine work Mr Surfacer 1000.

With this range you only need Vallejo putty for filling minor seams (not fuselage joints etc).
Wet finger & pull across smooth. But this is only for minor joints which do not rely on its strength.

For larger joints i use strips of plastic card with Tamiya Cement then to finish with the above fillers

Laurie