Help, new to airbrush.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The only way to figure it out is grab the bull by the horns and enjoy the ride
Ask any dozen modellers what they use in their A/B and how they spray it and you'll get a dozen different answers

Hi Steve
I'm afraid that Ian and Dave are right. Sometimes the more advice you get the more confusing it all becomes. Have a go and remember what you did so that you can build on what works for you. Above all, as Ian says, "enjoy the ride"
Jim

First Name
Steve
Thanks to you all for your comments. Have read them all through many times and put it into action this morning.
Unfortunately my first colour choice may not of been the right one, Red.
Had already hand primed and rubbed down with w&d to a good finish. Sprayed twice rubbing down in between and think a third coat will tljust about do it. Mix was 50/50, sprayed well, gun cleaned well after.
Thanks again for your help, I expect it will be wanted again in the future.
Cheers Steve.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
If you needed to spray something red, then red was a good choice Steve :thumb2: Trouble is, most reds are transparent so take an age to cover, as you found out…..

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
If you needed to spray something red, then red was a good choice Steve :thumb2: Trouble is, most reds are transparent so take an age to cover, as you found out…..
It's funny I found that with my Huey...thought red would be the opposite given that it's such a strong colour and yet it was almost as bad as yellow in that respect!

First Name
Steve
Yes , it a boat hull so needed to be red. As soon as I started spraying my motor vehicle apprenticeship kicked in and my sprayer mates teachings came back to this old brain.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It's funny I found that with my Huey...thought red would be the opposite given that it's such a strong colour and yet it was almost as bad as yellow in that respect!
When brush painting I start from a base of Vallejo cavalry red (duller reds) or amaranthe red (bright reds) because they cover better. Highlights are hard work as well. They can either go pink if you add white, or orange if you add scarlet. I tend to just use the base red for mid tone and highlight. They don’t even photograph well :angry:

First Name
Noel
I have been using airbrushes for many years and still get the occasional disaster. It is par for the course I am afraid as already said there are so many variables that come into play pointed out in the above replies from other posters.
Paint and thinner, consistency of, airbrush cleanliness, the list goes on.
It just comes down to practice and experiment in the end of the day.
My only advice to anybody contemplating investing in an airbrush is to take a cold hard look at what you want to use it for. Overall spraying, fine detail work or both will determine what best to buy, and always go for the best quality airbrush you can afford. Remember that it is a high precision instrument and possibly your most expensive investment, so treat it accordingly