Help on How to Apply Dry Transfers Please

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Steve,

Basically you need to cut the piece you want burnished. I use a burnisher tool (a smooth rounded metal tipped tool) to rub the backing sheet. I lift one end while slowly rubbing the text down. The adhesive will grab onto the surface as the rubbing pushes the text off the backing paper onto the surface.

Used to use this stuff (Letraset) a lot during my early advertising days before the advent of computers. Never knew it would be used for modelling.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That sounds like the transfers aren’t right. Most dry transfers come off the paper fairly easily if you rub the front of the sheet with a rounded tool (I use a plastic one that came with a set of Smurfs dry transfers in the early 1980s :smiling3:) or a soft pencil (2B or so). If they won’t even come off if you scrape the back of the sheet, they’re stuck too well.

Try another somewhere else on the sheet. If this doesn’t work either, claim warrantee with the seller.

Last edited:

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
That’s weird Steve - they normally release really easily and in my opinion give a much better finish than waterslide as no film to silver

You are trying to rub down the correct side aren’t you

The only time I have had this problem was with old decals past their sell by date - I’d had them at least ten years

Usually just rub them down with a pencil

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hiya mate,
Well that’s proper :poop: isn’t it! Maybe Mr T is onto something about the age of them being an issue.

I had wondered weather it might be the surface finish of the ammo box causing the issue? :thinking:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry for you mate, you order and wait, and then it's :poop:, bit like some grass seed I bought !
Richards remark about Letraset took me back. !
Have you tried it on some paper, in case it's the models surface. Can't see that it would be but things do happen .
Other than that think Si has a point.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Doesn't a dry transfer need a very flat surface? I would give the box a gloss coat and try it again... But as said before the sheet could be bad or old...

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
I’ve had problems with them on Boxcars if they are old they will not work but if there fresh they work well.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Everyone

Many thanks for all your feedback. The transfers are the latest version as there are older ones you can get. I have tried them on paper as well with no joy. I have tried 4 altogether now with no joy. They came over from Australia so they may have been affected by the cold stowage area in the aircraft. I have emailed Archer and according to their website they are happy to help. So I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again for all your help and support.

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
About 4:30 in to the second video he stated very clearly that ALL the products have an unconditional guarantee. NO MATTER WHAT. Send them a mail and they will probably replace them.
He also mentions that if they dont stick they are probably old OR have bad glue.....

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
This was the video that prompted me to email them yesterday. They are a good company so I should be okay. I just hope I get a replacement not a refund. Thanks for your message of help

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well that's a good thing to read about an unconditional guarantee Steve.

First Name
Stuart
Hi Steve
Some of the archer transfers you can rub onto wet media paper and then you use it like a water slide decal by putting in water

here's another link explaining:

Hope you get it resolved - very frustrating

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Apparently (and I’ve never tried it so it would need experimentation) I heard it said that dry print transfers can also be used as methfix transfers if the glue has gone bad....

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
I thought so mate but I thought it was about time I asked a silly question :smiling5:

Theresa May is putting me in charge of the nuclear button tomorrow:flushed::hugging-face:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mate,
I have used these a lot, normally I use a soft lead pencil to rub them down and till now have had no problems.