HELP please - Spitfire knowledge needed

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
I am rather ignorant about aircraft specifications but I am certain there is someone on here who is :smiling:. I need a bit of advice please.
On my Spitfire build I am at the stage of sticking bits to the underside of the wings. In the instructions part G6, which I reckon is some kind of flap, can be fitted either open or closed. I believe it is part of the radiator but I could be wrong.

P1050319.JPG
The completed box thingy fits just behind the wheels.
P1050320.JPG
My question is this - "If the aircraft is on the ground, just sitting there, would the flaps be open or closed?

No prizes I'm afraid although all help much appreciated. I will, however, be more than willing to buy you a coffee and a bun at Telford or Cosford :smiling5:

Thanks in advance
Jim

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim, I don't know a lot about it but Gary's right.
I visited the British Imperial War Museum in London this weekend and was lucky to see the Spit hanging on the ceiling of the museum and I was well impressed. A Rolls Royce Merlin was on display as well, great piece of engineering!

Cheers

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gary
I owe you a coffee and a bun. Thank you very much. Certainly looks as if they were running up to temperature to test the flap opening. So if it had just landed the flaps may well be open but if sat for a while and cooled then closed.
Cheers Wouter for the confirmation.
Jim

B

Big Red

Hi Jim,

Th Mk ix has 2 sets of under wing radiators in the fairings you describe. Each had an intercooler and an oil radiator. As already said, the flaps were opened automatically at 115C, but there was a button in the cockpit for ground testing as well.
Hope this is some help.

Jim

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sounds just like the old trucks I use to drive. We called them “shutters” they would open at a certain temp to cool the engine (fresh air) and close when the temp went down to normal working range. When those shutter closed it made the fan sounded like a bunch of mad bees. Very interesting about the spit. Lee

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Jim and Lee - thanks. Appreciate your time in answering my question.
Jim