Help please.

First Name
Andrew
Hi, I am new to this. I am retired and apart from a couple of very basic models in my youth, I have never modelled.

I have bought a basic tool kit, mat and cement but am still to decide what type of models to concentrate on although aircraft or cars are my current favourites.

Do I need to think about the scale at this stage? I assume that the beginners kits are generally a certain scale? What about after that?

Should I buy some acrylic paints yet? I think I've read that beginners kits may come with paints or is this incorrect? If I need to buy some, is there a basic set of colours that I should get? Probably a difficult question to answer as I appreciate this may depend on model type, era etc.

I think I read in another thread that a trip to Hobbycraft to look at kits (at least for a first purchase) would be helpful as they hold a decent range.

Are there particular brands to go for or to avoid?

Apologies for the number of questions. Any general help for a beginner would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Firstly welcome to the forum Andrew.
Depending on your sight with out buying an optovisor of which there are many to choose from https://duckduckgo.com/?q=optivisor+magnifiers&t=chromentp&atb=v1-1&iax=images&ia=images
There are some who model in larger scale like 1/12 1/20 and mainly do busts and motor cycles,
I do 1/35 but use an optovisor, 1/72 is also popular , but smaller and there more fiddley.
Tamiya are good kits, they tend to go together well .
As for paints, many use Tamiya, but suggest you would need some ventilation. I use acrylics, there are hundred's of colours to chose from .
As to having a selection of colours, I would think it depends on what kit you are going to build, you can buy sets for aircraft and for a countries tanks.Those paints that come with those Airfix kits I think are enamel, so you would need thinners as well.
Perhaps the best advice is to look at U TUBE, but don't be put off if it becomes all overwhelming about what you need , or should get.
It takes time to build up tools and a paint rack.
Any question you have on a kit will receive an answer on here, and remember no question is laughed at

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
Welcome to the forum. You will find a very friendly bunch of modellers here. John has given some sound advice already.
My advice to you as a beginner is to buy a cheap kit, not an old rubbish kit as that will present many problems and might put you off altogether. Some of the Airfix 1/72 scale aeroplanes are great kits. Many come with glue, brushes and paint but the brush is usually poor and the cement is that gloopy stuff in a tube. I'd buy a couple of decent brushes and liquid cement.
Be brave and share your build on here. I can guarantee that you will only get polite, helpful comments. We had a Group Build a while ago using just starter kits.
Main thing is have fun.
Jim
Have a look HERE, the Starter Kit group build. You can see what great results can be had with these straightforward, cheap kits.

Last edited:

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Welcome another Andrew!

My advice, added to the above, is to dive in! Buy a kit you like the look of, and the paints for that kit, and try and put it together. You'll answer so many of your own questions as you'll see what you could have done, what tools would have made it easier, and ask for review from that.

No matter what you do, your second model will be better than your first.

Start a thread with your build and ask for help when you hit a snag. Every one of my build threads has been 10% progress and 90% discussion.

This place is 100% friendly and non-judgemental, enjoy it!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andrew,
welcome to the forum! My advice for choice of kit is - something that attracts you! If your fingers aren't as nimble as they used to be, then stay away from the smaller scale models. Some models can be very complex, and can kill your interest quickly, so try for a simpler model. I suggest you look around at the retail sites, Hannants, Model Hobbies, Jadlam, and of course the Scale Model Shop at what is available, select a few models, then ask here, on the forum, for opinions on the suitability as a beginners model. You'll get help from people who've maybe made the model & had problems ( or not ). Either way, before spending your cash, ask here - we're all happy to help!! :thumb2:
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Andrew, welcome aboard. Every question is treated with dignity and replied with concern and practical tips of the ability of the modeler to be in mind. Be it starting off or at an advance stage. We still get asked if water can mix with oil and we have no problem answering time and time again. :smiling2:
We can be an absent minded old lot. :tears-of-joy:..trying to figure putting pieces together and having fun. Mind you there are experts here who are just as kind to share their experiences and mishaps at the bench. So dive in.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Andrew, welcome aboard and glad to see so many folks eager to offer their suggestions.....I am afraid I can't add anymore to what's already been said but I am in total agreement with the comments and support you a getting from the members. Cheers and remember to have fun and enjoy your new hobby.
Rick H. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Andrew.

I can only commend you for have THE truly outstanding first name!!!

lots of good advice above. Above all remember this is meant to be a fun hobby!!

All the best.

Andrew

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Do I need to think about the scale at this stage? I assume that the beginners kits are generally a certain scale?
Kits aimed at complete beginners are mostly 1:72 scale aircraft packaged with small pots of paint, a brush and possibly glue , though you can also find other subjects like cars and ships, I seem to remember.

The scale doesn’t really matter all that much, though: larger scale generally means more parts, but the smallest of them will be about the same size as in smaller-scale kits. This is simply because manufacturers can really practically only mould things to a certain minimum size and modellers struggle with parts that are too small.

My advice would be to simply look for a subject that appeals to you, and when you find a kit you like, ask on the forum here if anyone has experience with it or thoughts about its difficulty. This because some kits are just harder to build than others, and if you happen to pick a kit that is notoriously difficult to put together, it’s just going to put you off :smiling3: I would say: buy a Tamiya kit as your first. They may be relatively expensive compared to many other brands, but both fit of parts and the instructions will be very good.

What about after that?
Basically the same as above :smiling3: Choose something that appeals to you, and you’ll soon get a bit of experience that will let you tackle more complex models or less-well-fitting kits.

Should I buy some acrylic paints yet?
I think I would buy a kit first, so you can work out which colours you need from its instructions. Once you decide this modelling stuff is a fun hobby, add some basic colours that are likely to be useful (red, blue, yellow, black, white, silver etc.) and again, from there, experience will soon build to show you what colours you’re likely to need — or not :smiling3:

Are there particular brands to go for or to avoid?
As I said above, Tamiya is the one I would recommend. Well-designed, very good fit, fairly well-detailed and instructions that are easy to follow.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andrew
I am sure you'll enjoy the Airfix kits. As they're cheap you won't worry too much about "just getting stuck in". Do share your builds, the forum is all about sharing and support.
Jim

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Welcome.

I can only mirror what has already been said.
I joined here after deciding to rekindle my love of gluing plastic to my fingers.

Strangely I found I did this less being older (not much less)

A good start I found was simply reading through the enormous amount of threads on here, there's not much that hasn't been covered.
If the answer isn't here someone will quickly answer any query you have, as they say.. no such thing as a stupid question.

So, I'd say grab a starter kit, roll up your sleeves and get literally stuck in.

Enjoy and welcome to the forum!

Del