Help! Problem with enamel products

M

Mauritzs

Hi eveyone,
I’ve got some trouble with my flames of war models. I’m using Sherman drab spray(https://www.flamesofwar.com/default.aspx?tabid=79&ProductID=6165) to basecoat my models. I think its easier with an spray to get an even coat. I’m new to all of this, so I haven’t got an airbrush yet.
I have now bought some weathering products from AK, and most of them are enamel products. When I’m using for example the wash i can see that it dissolves my basecoat and ruining the color. Am I doing anything wrong? Or is these two Color types not suppose to work togheter?

thanks!

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Joha

I don't use enamels however I am not surprised that enamel weathering over an enamel base is causing you some lifting problems. If you are sure that the base coat is dry (at least 12 - 24 hours) then it maybe that you need to protect your base coat with a coat of something like Clear Kote, in order to prevent interaction between the layers.

John

First Name
Scott
Everything I have seen shows a clear coat first but, I am new also and no expert. Watch some YouTube videos and see how others do it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
John's right. The solvents in your enamel paint will attack your enamel basecoat. You need to coat your enamel base with something like an acrylic varnish before adding your top coat/weathering enamels. You will almost always have the same problem if you try to use similar products on top of each other.

I've heard of some reactions between specific products (if you're not sure and can't find anyone who has used the specific combination of products you want to use, try them on a test piece of sprue from your kit), but the general rule is to use different products for the different layers - enamel solvents won't affect acrylics and vice versa.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The easier option is to spray the model with acrylic paint in the first place, so the enamel-based weathering product won’t attack it — or the other way around, applying an acrylic-based weathering product over the enamel base coat, of course.

M

Mauritzs

Thanks for all the replys! I will try to coat them with a varnish, otherwise I will see if I can find an acrylic spray. Anyone have any tips for that? Similar to the one I use. Or do I need an airbrush?

Thanks!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Many paints in spraying cans are acrylic, but it may not always say so clearly on the label, I suppose. I’ve never used Flames of War stuff (in fact have never touched any FoW stuff except for picking up the odd box in a game store, then putting it down again, off, and browsing the rulebook once) but there are lots of other brands — the main thing to do is to get away from the fantasy/science-fiction wargamer mentality of looking no further than the manufacturer whose models you’re building :smiling3: For example, Tamiya also makes spraying cans in colours suitable for Allied vehicles, and you can put enamels over these just fine.