Help rusting die cast aluminum

D

destroyer3001

I have a die cast aluminium car and was wondering how to make it look really rusty?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Is it bare metal, or painted? I would just use rust pigments or make your own using enamels, oil paints etc, thin down using white-spirit. Make or use, different colours of rust from lighter new rust to older darker rust.

This is a plastic model of a sunken U-boat done in various rust pigments. You will do it differently but you get the idea.

Si:smiling3:

D

destroyer3001

\ said:
Is it bare metal, or painted? I would just use rust pigments or make your own using enamels, oil paints etc, thin down using white-spirit. Make or use, different colours of rust from lighter new rust to older darker rust.This is a plastic model of a sunken U-boat done in various rust pigments. You will do it differently but you get the idea.

It is painted at mo but am gonna wire brush it back to bare metal and could you explain it in more of a simpleton way as I am new to meddeling and that post looks very helpful but confused me

P.s great looking rust on that sub [emoji2]

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi there, I use the stuff in the links below.

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/pigment-fixer-pigment-mig-productions-p249.html

http://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=rust pigments

You need a the cap off a jamjar or a something similar-the pigments are a powder so you just add some to your cap and then add a small amount of pigment fixer, this can then be painted, dabbed on. Once dry you can build up the colours etc. I once use water with pigment fixer-bad idea as when I came to varnish it just turned brown-allover, the pigment fixer is a mixture of white spirit and a matt varnish-the white spirit is the holder for the pigment-this evaporates leaving the pigment in place-this sets via the varnish.

Enamel can be used to great effect too, various browns, greens, black can be used as a wash. Take the side of the car, add a black dot of enamel paint, then use some white spirit on a soft brush-the paint will run and dilute, flow into panel lines and build up at the bottom edges, giving a look of grud, have a play about with various combinations of paint to give a green-mold look etc.

Oils are just oil paints, again you can thin them and use them as filters or oil drops etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
These pictures of my 1/35 Chieftain is done as overhaul type, so was primed using red oxide then salted, grey primer added and the salt knocked off to show the red underneath to represent wear. This was added to using black enamel and white-spirit to produce the black swirls of dirt etc. Rust was also added in places using rust pigments on the tank and oil barrels.

Hope this helps.

D

destroyer3001

That does help I will think about doing it like that and has anyone heard of the method involving wrapping steel wool around car and rusting steel wool then taking it off and metal is rust stained?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Yes, I also have used real rust, got some in a jar, that is a fine powder, add it to fixer and used that. One thing to remember is that the zinc/copper/ali alloy of diecast will not stain as well, also it will rub off easily-try a matt varnish on top and see if that helps.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Just to add, what scale is the vehicle? Reason I ask is if you're feeling confident and you can take the shell off try sanding from the back-use a dremel to take away the metal, go slowly and you should be able to make rust holes in wings and door bottoms etc.

D

destroyer3001

\ said:
Just to add, what scale is the vehicle? Reason I ask is if you're feeling confident and you can take the shell off try sanding from the back-use a dremel to take away the metal, go slowly and you should be able to make rust holes in wings and door bottoms etc.Si:smiling3:
It is a 1/18 scale ford focus and I was going for this look not rust holes: