Help with a leaking airbrush hose?

First Name
Lachlan
Can anyone offer any help? The airbrush hose is leaking, more so than the one i exchanged this one for at my local model shop.The hose is a Revell but the compressor is a Badger I believe. It goes air tight if I push the air hose against the connector to the compressor, but starts leaking when I let go. Any advice would be appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 14

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Is it leaking from the join between the brass fitting and the grey crimped ring on the hose or the brass fitting and the outlet?

First Name
Lachlan
Is it leaking from the join between the brass fitting and the grey crimped ring on the hose or the brass fitting and the outlet?

The first, there’s some play in the space between the nut washer (?) that attaches to the compressor. I’m most likely butchering the description, but aye!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sounds like you need an adaptor - that's the problem, when you mix up components - on my compressor/hose/airbrush, all the fittings are 1/8" BSP, Your hose or compressor may be different, 1/4" BSP, or even metric you may need one of these.............
adaptors.jpg
These are all available on Amazon, but I can't advise you on the size needed, that's dependent on what you actually have in your hands
Dave

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Lachlan,
looking at the Badger 1100 air compressor, it has a 1/4" NPT outlet connection ( National Pipe Thread - an American standard ), I'm betting that the other connectors are 1/8" BSP ( British Standard Pipe ), so I think you'll need a 1/4" NPT female to 1/8" BSP male adaptor............. ( something like Top Right, or Bottom Left in the picture above )
Dave

D

Deleted member 7181

I think Dave has hit the nail on the head with the NPT/BSP thing. If memory serves me right one will screw onto the other a short way due to the similar thread pitch, but not enough to tighten fully, especially if we are talking about the self-sealing tapered threads (BSPT)

You may be able to fudge it for now with some PTFE tape but an adapter is the right way to go.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Lachlan

Sounds like a valve issue. But as Bortig says use some PTFE tape, even when the threads are the save size, just in case.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Third advocate of an adapter here. From your description, the union nut is not being pulled up enough to seat the sealing washer from the hose on the compressor outlet. PTFE tape probably won’t help much as the leak is not due to the Union nut/compressor joint thread itself.

D

Deleted member 7181

From your description, the union nut is not being pulled up enough to seat the sealing washer from the hose on the compressor outlet.
I was desperately searching my brain for the correct name but it wouldn't come!

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I would’ve gone with Union nut too for what it’s worth Tim.
Normally a union fitting has a male (external thread) and female part (the nut) ....this sort of has the female part with the nut so....:thinking:
Even after yrs of working with pipes and fittings, I still don’t know all of their proper names! Do-dah, wotsit and thingy
normally do the job:cool:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The first, there’s some play in the space between the nut washer (?) that attaches to the compressor. I’m most likely butchering the description, but aye!
If it is leaking between the crimped ring and the brass bit you screw to the compressor, it is defective and you should return it. It should have an air tight seal but still be able to turn.

First Name
Lachlan
Wow, gents! Apologies, only just seeing this all now. It definitely WASN’T the fact that I hadn’t tightened the nut enough.... off to sit with my tail between my legs. Thanks for all the advice!