Help with chipping colour

SpitfireAce

SMF Supporter
First Name
Tom
Hi, I'm building a Tamiya Stug 3 and want to add chipping effect but unsure as what colour to use on the German Yellow for the chipping. I watched some Youtube videos but found some of them confusing (i.e. mixing colours, different paint brands etc.). I am just starting out and this is my first armour. I am using Tamiya acrylic paints and want to keep it simple (no mixing multiple colours thank you :rolling:). So my question would be, what is the one best Tamiya acrylic colour I should use for my chipping effect on the German Yellow? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Tom

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I usually go for a dark brown (burnt umber etc), or a rust tone, or even silver when it should look like bare metal...

Cheers, steven

First Name
Wouter
there are different ways indeed. Some people use a dark brown or dark red to simulate the chips.

I however use different colors (but I don't mix them).
For the superficial chips I use Iraqi Sand of Deck Tan and for the deeper ones I paint a small inside area of the superficial chips using a Dark Brown or even Hull Red. This creates a nice fake 3D effect. It looks a bit artificial at first but after weathering it's quite convincing, as can be seen on the round bin on the side of my Panther ausf. A
Panther (95).jpg