Help with FW190\A8 paint scheme?

B

Buttonman

Please can some one explaine to me how yo get to this?

Done the wings and bottom loverly but just can't figure how you get the effect?

Cheers guys am getting frantic

Martin

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's was a standard Fw190 colour scheme (RLM 74/75) on top when it left the factory but has received some adjustment later. There has been an overspray of a light colour,probably the underside colour RLM 76. Mottling like this is best done with an airbrush and takes a bit of practice.

Dahl was filmed for the "Deutsche Wochenshau",a German version of our Pathe news, in this aircraft,in December 1944 and I've got a couple of stills from that somewhere which I'll post in a bit.

Cheers

Steve

Here you go. This will give a better idea of the effect you are after.

These are on my HD but probably from Rodeicke's "Focke-Wulf 190 Jagdflugzeug".

This is a similar kind of mottle on one of my Bf109 models.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I built exactly the same machine in a FW190 Group Build. If you're interested please have a look.

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/completed/9606-blue-13-finished-diorama-follow.html

The trick is to use thinned paint through a fine nozzle airbrush to get the mottle. there are masks available to do this but I did mine free hand.

If you require any more info just give me a shout.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nice job Paul.

Like you I think mottle has to be sprayed freehand. I try and put myself in the shoes of the original sprayer. In scale,how big a blotch or arc can you spray standing in one place? The most important thing is that if you do muck it up you can always fix it,one of the joys of airbrushing.

Cheers

Steve

B

Buttonman

Thanks chaps went with the blutack at tis time will practice the mottling on a piece of card.

Cheers

Martin