Help with paint onto chrome

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Any advice would be appreciated!

I have this Porsche RSR kit and need to now paint the rims. They have a gold centre and chrome sides.
I have gold enamel paint but worried it wont stick, which was confirmed when I tried it on a piece of sprue.
Any ideas on best option. Also not sure if it will mask.
It's 1:24 scale. I had seen a youtube where the person said they used a gold pen (if so what type do I get)??
(see pics)

Thanks

T

Attachments

• IMG_6290.JPG
    IMG_6290.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6291.JPG
    IMG_6291.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 12

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
The pens are paint pens, Sharpé or Sakura pens (there maybe others) As for masking, depends how steady you are, you could get some detailing mask, the type they use on motorbike tanks etc when they need to mask an area prior to airbrushing or you could use some thin masking strips and just take your time in masking the rims.

The gold enamel will not adhere to the chrome, you would need to remove completely using oven cleaner or something similar, then prime and paint.

Just to add, check out the site's shop, John, may have something in there that is suitable.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive done it before with Tamiya clear yellow and a fine paint brush.....that way you have the 'shine' of the chrome showing through

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Try using a matt varnish as primer on the areas you want to paint - It'll never be as good as painting bare plastic, but should allow you to get the surface paint to adhere.............
Dave

D

dadelmo

Hi!

I've painted gold rims using Tamiya TS-21 Gold spray.

I've also used paint pens for silver chrome with incredible good results. The brand is Molotow. This is a photo of the silver chrome pen that I use and the rim that I painted with this pen. I'm looking for gold colors, but I don't see Molotow have golds... I hope chrome at least works for you.

In this case, I would mask the plastic chrome with tape and spray the gold rim. Or paint all the rim, and paint with the liquid chrome pen the outer rim.

ErleKQh.jpg
KltcWX9.jpgcRMnVZv.jpg

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I'd strip the chrome with Dettol, wash them down and scrub with an old tooth brush, prime and then spray the appropriate colour.

The choices are abound.

mrtintheweb

mrtinthweb
First Name
Toby
Thanks snowman but I’m all done now. Up close they are okay but from more than 10 inches away look good with gold pen.
Results below.

T

Attachments

• 3806BDCC-ADB9-425D-9CBA-C9B8480D099C.jpeg
    3806BDCC-ADB9-425D-9CBA-C9B8480D099C.jpeg
    207.9 KB · Views: 9