help with sealing paint coats?

M

minisurfer

I have been using Tamiya paints to air brush my models then give them a quick lacquer to prevent any mistakes with detail or washes.

But now moved onto Vallejo Paint since they have a large range of colours. but my lacquer dont work with it, i painted detail over the top and made a mistake but didnt notice till it was too late so i just done the usual got some thinners on a cotton bud and wiped the spot but to my horror the base coat came off with it leaving the primer exposed. I tried it on another area and had the same results.

Can i ask what you guys use to seal between coats wit Vallejo paints.

T

tecdes

Not got your name so I will call you Mini.

Answer is that Vallejo paints are water based. So use water based on the top of them (in general) it is the safest way.

I use Vallejo gloss varnish to seal where decals weathering & the like are going to be used. You will not have any problems then.

Then after use Vallejo varnish to seal & get the finish you need. They do Gloss Satin & Matt all of which are quality products. They can be brushed or airbrushed. John stocks them in the Shop at the top of the page.

No more horrors then. Famous last words.

Welcome to the forum. Best to put your Christian name up as all use them. Best wishes for Christmas & come back with any queries you will get loads of help.

Laurie

M

minisurfer

i have the matt finish from Vallejo dont think that will work might need the gloss.

So i have base coated in Vallejo paint and sealled with the vallejo varnish made a paint error ontop of the varnish coat what can i use to wipe away from excess paint without removing the varnish.

I used meth spirits and it took it down to the primer and screenwash didnt touch it.

Sorry to write like a newbie but its the only way to get my problem across.

Thanks in advance..

gaz

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Not quite sure why you are sealing the paint befor you're done. I normally just seal it after weathering.

If (read that as when) I make a mistake I just wipe it off immediately with a cotton bud with water. Or leave it alone and when dry, paint it over.

Vallejo, while a waterbased (?) acrylic are once dry water proof so you need a solvent or thinner to remove them. Unfortunately there is no easy way other than wipe it off with water WHILE ITS WET. Once left to dry, it easier to do over.

Ian M

M

minisurfer

sorry what i meant was after basecoating i wanted to wash certain area to get into creases but sometime it would run over where i didnt want it too. in the past i used to seal the model then give it a wash then any bits i didnt want i could just wipe away with meths and a cotton bud while the base coat was protected under the lacquer it would just wipe off without smudging or taking away the base coat like trying again to get it better.

if this is the wrong way and links to help or advise.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
OK Now I'm with you.

I normally paint with Vallejo and have used Humbrol enamel's thinned with white spirit with out problems.

Once the Acrylic has dried and cured that is. I often use artists oils thinned out with white spirit as well.

So have a go on a practice piece using a white spirit base wash over your acrylic base. Just remember that the acrylic needs to be hardend and not just dry. Leave it for a day or two first.

Ian M