Help

M

mark stonham

Hi i need help im spraying the front cowling on a model bike primed with white primer and when it comes to top coat tamiya bright red its drying a misty doll colour. im spraying in the shed then bringing it strait in under the lamp the same steps as i done with my first bike.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi mark, usually blooming is caused by spraying in cold temperatures and /or damp conditions. Was the cowling in the shed already?, and therefore quite cold,- that could have caused it to bloom. Maybe try getting the part in the house to warm up for a bit ,then spray it in the shed and straight back in the warmth. Also , if youre using an aerosol ,theyre even more prone to this, try and get the aerosol at room temp too. hope this helps, and im sure ray (sprayman) will know a lot more than me , so hopefully he'll see it and give us his thoughts too, cheers tony

S

sprayman

If I could see a pic I could try and help a bit more, as dull or cloudy look can be caused by a number of seperate issues (airbrushing or aerosol for instance), but tony is spot on if its blooming.Blooming is usually caused by cold or damp conditions, to help prevent blooming you can add thinners and retarders to the paint. If your in a shed then the temperature really comes into play, try warming the paint surface a tad, but if you can have the paint surface and paint at the same room temperature, maybe a portable heater in the shed for 30 mins or so.

S

Spyderman_uk

If you have to work in the shed then a possible solution may be to use one of those garage work lamps. The same sort you fix to the front of the house as a flood light.

They act as a good heater and can heat up the workbench spray area a treat.

I usually hang the lamp from the ceiling so it is out of the way but directed at the work area.