John
Welcome Ed.
Sure you will enjoy your time with us .

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Wow! Thanks for the welcome! I wanted active and here it is. :smiling3:

In terms of where 3D printing is going, particularly with resin, it's hard to say. I've done things that require significant magnification to see any layer lines - a shot of primer and you're good - and I can manufacture some parts that could not be made in a traditional plastic mold without tremendous expense. However, while I think the cast resin market is likely in the biggest danger, I'm not sure it takes over PE just because photo etch is SO thin. If I do missile fins at scale in 3D resin, they are floppy and actually somewhat see-through. With PE, they will be nice and strong and super thin. The biggest downsides of resin 3D printing are 1) mess - there is no way to adequately describe how messy it is 2) smell - get used to the smell of Isopropyl alcohol and resin and 3) complexity - I'm a software developer with lots of 3D design experience so I have some advantages.

So I really look at this as a golden time for modelling - there are so, so many options for us!

I'm planning on taking some photos tonight and adding to the Aircraft Under Construction section soon!

Thanks!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm a software developer with lots of 3D design experience so I have some advantages.

Welcome to the forum Ed.

The software and designing is THE biggest part that baffles me. I have something i really want to design but watching the videos on Youtube just confuses me even more lol

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
Welcome to the forum Ed.

The software and designing is THE biggest part that baffles me. I have something i really want to design but watching the videos on Youtube just confuses me even more lol
There's a learning curve, FOR SURE. For me, I settled on Fusion 360 and picked a project that I really wanted to build: a 1:144 Aries 1B from "2001: A Space Odyssey". I spent, and I'm not kidding, close to 1500 hours during COVID on this model and learning the software. And now, I really know the software. Part of it is also figuring out what types of models you're most interested in doing. Fusion 360 is great for mechanical forms whereas Blender or other software may be able to do a better job with more organic forms. I actually use Adobe Medium on my Oculus VR to sculpt in 3 dimensions, but that's not for everyone either.

I'd say, figure out what you want to do, pick a project, and start experimenting.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ED can we see pic of that space craft from 2001 ?
chrisb

Ed Sunder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ed
HI ED can we see pic of that space craft from 2001 ?
chrisb
I will do a post on it in the next couple days with more details, but here are a couple quick pictures (remember it's 1:144 scale):
PXL_20220128_231837113.jpg
Note that in the cockpit you can see the stewardess bringing diner to the pilots

PXL_20220128_231826196.jpg
The imperial probe droid is mine as well - the base is 3d printed and designed in a VR sculpting program called Adobe Medium using my Oculus Quest 2.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ED lookin forward to your posting of this build as 2001 an 2010 was an still are some of my fav films as i have them both on dvd will you do a model of the orion spacecraft ? as i thought that was fab as it began to turn to the space wheel dock to the music of the blue danube an ive watched both films several times but i think the 2010 film with roy scyinider in was the best of the two an i really enjoyed these films as in 2001 it took a bit of understanding what happend to david bowman an after all these yrs i now i think understand it as this was a giant trap to get any inteligent being through it by them alieions that set it over 4 millon yrs ago wonderfull story an im still amazed by it an love the poilots gettin their dinner from the stewardess brillint as i once thought about building a 6ft long discorovery space craft to hang from my ceilin in our bedroom but the idea got vetiod by the missus as she said it may come down on us in bed :rolling: :crying:
chrisb

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
HI ED lookin forward to your posting of this build as 2001 an 2010 was an still are some of my fav films as i have them both on dvd will you do a model of the orion spacecraft ? as i thought that was fab as it began to turn to the space wheel dock to the music of the blue danube an ive watched both films several times but i think the 2010 film with roy scyinider in was the best of the two an i really enjoyed these films as in 2001 it took a bit of understanding what happend to david bowman an after all these yrs i now i think understand it as this was a giant trap to get any inteligent being through it by them alieions that set it over 4 millon yrs ago wonderfull story an im still amazed by it an love the poilots gettin their dinner from the stewardess brillint as i once thought about building a 6ft long discorovery space craft to hang from my ceilin in our bedroom but the idea got vetiod by the missus as she said it may come down on us in bed :rolling: :crying:
chrisb
Enlarge the scale of the Discovery Chris and you can both sleep in it! :tears-of-joy:
Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Enlarge the scale of the Discovery Chris and you can both sleep in it! :tears-of-joy:
Steve
HI Seve if i could i would lol as i loved that space craft the imagination gone into all the crafts in them films is to me a wonder an id love to have the same imgination as them that thought them all up
cheers
chrisb

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
HI Seve if i could i would lol as i loved that space craft the imagination gone into all the crafts in them films is to me a wonder an id love to have the same imgination as them that thought them all up
cheers
chrisb
You'e not doing too badly in the imagination stakes mate ...!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You'e not doing too badly in the imagination stakes mate ...!
HI again Steve i suppoce you mean all the wires an gadgets that ive fitted in tiger ? but ive really enjoyed doin it all
Cheers
chrisb